Riccardo Castellani wrote:
I have to install new Linux server, based on ONLY on text console (not
X server, not kde, not gnome) to having squid as parent cache.
Then I have to configure sendmail which relays messages to 3 perimetral mail servers.

I'm thinking to install Debian or Ubuntu server but what do you
suggest me ?

Up to you. Ubuntu is a child OS built on top of Debian.
From the console they are almost identical.

I find the delay in package updates annoying in Ubuntu, particularly since they cop it from their own release freezes, and from the Debian freezes once a year. But I'm an unashamed neophyte.

Please be using
  Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.6