Rob van der Putten wrote:
Hi there

On Sat, 4 Apr 2009, Amos Jeffries wrote:

The big difference between Debian and Ubuntu is the X server/kde/gnome GUI interface. Once you eliminate that you may as well flip a coin to choose.

You can choose the desktop / window manager.
Ubuntu  Gnome
Kubuntu KDE
Xubuntu Xfce

AFAIK Ubuntu is a mix of Debian Testing, Unstable and Experimental with a few added non Debian packages. On Debian you can do something similar by installing testing during freeze and then create a few backports from unstable and experimental.

Debian Stable / Lenny provides Squid 2.7 and 3.0 (section web).
If you want 3.1 you have to compile it yourself;
Install gcc and libldap2-dev, libpam0g-dev, libdb-dev, sharutils, dpatch (>= 2.0.9), cdbs, libsasl2-dev, debhelper (>=5), libcppunit-dev.

NP:
 - sharutils no longer needed at all for 3.1+
- libcppunit-dev not required for a simple build, only for a full test+build if you need to be extra certain nothings broken (Debian package build does like to be sure).

And download the source of course; http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.1/

The file http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/squid3/squid3_3.0.STABLE8.orig.tar.gz lists the differences between the Debian and the original version of Squid 3.0. It's mainly added copyright notices and a change in the install procedure. I didn't apply the patch (which is for 3.0), but used configure options instead. I could' get all the configure options to work though. Nor did I succeed in telling it not to install libexec in /usr/local/squid/libexec/
It also links libdl instead of librt. I don't know why.
It does work though.

Regards,
Rob

Please be using