Royce:

Ball location of 1" sounds ok.  A more important consideration is how much
travel the ball has in its port area.  When I built mine I found it worked
most dependably when it traveled 1 ball diameter or less from its seat.  You
want to perform all pressure/leak/output tests by hand before mounting on
the chassis.

Priming: without a tender pump for priming the axle pump you should open
your bypass and roll the engine back and forth monitoring your return line
into the water tank (engine cold).  You will see an air/water mix at first
settling down to water once the air is purged.  If the chassis is too stiff
to do this cold then perform same procedure during the initial engine warm
up period.  Remember the pump draws additional horsepower off the engine,
you may find you need the bypass wide open until the engine is warmed and
cleared.

Jim