Geoff Spenceley wrote:

but I still find it necessary to prime the lines
with the hand pump
Hopefully, Jim's method will work so that I don't have to build another hand pump.
Incidentally, the water enters into the bottom of
the boiler!

I'm guessing that if you have the choice, you would want the relatively cold feedwater to enter the boiler as far away from steam take-off as possible. But I would like to not have to install another bushing in the boiler.

Back pressure to the pump valve body is
advisable to properly seat the discharge ball on water intake strokes.

Well, wouldn't the boiler check valve eliminate the "back pressure" by closing off the boiler pressure ? So where does the back pressure come from ?

Sorry for asking all these questions, but I'm under the impression that many will learn from the answers espoused by this list's cognescenti.

Thanks for your input sir Geoff.

royce in SB