From experience,  I believe both Jim and Keith have hit the ball on the
head! One problem with the Aster GNR single was the axle pump, the balls
were too small and the pump cavitated as Keith explains. Two larger balls
from Aster were supplied   but I still find it necessary to prime the lines
with the hand  pump before starting the loco. (the hand pump line runs
thru the axle pump  valve body)  With that simple procedure the pump
performance is excellent. Incidentally, the water enters into the bottom of
the boiler! Since the axle pump is basically a hydraulic pump I note that
with  the locos I have: 1/16th and 1/32, the length of the lines vary as do
the check valve locations in to the boiler and there appears to be no
difference in performance. In nearly all case the water lines descend to
the pump and then rise to the boiler. Descending to the pump from the water
tank insures the pump is primed. Back pressure to the pump valve body is
advisable to properly seat the  discharge ball  on water intake strokes.

Keith wrote ">anything at all, things like my name etc. is becoming
increasingly difficult as time marches on!"
 Hey Keith! wait 'til yer in yer 80s. Well, I must say,  then, at least
time doesn't march on, it plods, staggers and gits lost a lot! Er, What was
I a-saying?

Geoff