STOP NATO: ¡NO PASARAN! - HTTP://WWW.STOPNATO.ORG.UK

--------------------------- ListBot Sponsor --------------------------
Start Your Own FREE Email List at http://www.listbot.com/links/joinlb

  <A HREF="aol://4344:30.L100cuu6.5258030.679775605"> 07/16: AOL News:
Rumsfeld vows to turn 'waste into weapons'</A>

Rumsfeld vows to turn 'waste into weapons'

By John Whitesides

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld urged Congress
Monday to back reductions in Pentagon waste and inefficiency, saying he could
not assure taxpayers the military was spending their money wisely.

Rumsfeld, who proposed last month adding $18.4 billion to the fiscal 2002
defense budget for a total of $329 billion, said the Pentagon needed to find
more savings to pay for a bigger boost in spending next year even without the
upgrades expected in an ongoing top-to-bottom military review.

Rumsfeld said he would feel better about asking for more money "if I can tell
you we are treating taxpayers' money responsibly, and today we are not," he
told a House Appropriations subcommittee.

"We'll need Congress to give us greater freedom to achieve cost savings,"
Rumsfeld said. "We simply have got to turn waste into weapons."

He repeated earlier remarks the Pentagon would ask Congress for another round
of politically unpopular base closings to save money, and warned lawmakers
that rejection of his proposal to reduce the B-1 bomber fleet would send the
wrong message.

The Air Force has proposed cutting the B-1 bomber fleet to 60 planes from the
current 93, for a saving of $165 million in 2002. Those funds would go back
to the Air Force to upgrade the remaining B-1 bomber fleet.

JOBS AT STAKE

Lawmakers from Georgia, Kansas and Idaho have vowed to fight that proposal
because it would eliminate about 1,000 jobs in all from Air National Guard
bases in their states.

"The failure of this proposal would send a harmful signal across the defense
establishment that if they step forward to find innovative ways to save money
and increase efficiency, it will be a waste of time and work," he said.

Rumsfeld said base closings, an unpopular issue with lawmakers who want to
protect facilities and jobs in their home districts, were needed to help pay
for military upgrades. A 1998 study showed the military could cut 23 percent
of its base capacity.

The last base-closings round was carried out in 1995, but Congress refused
later Pentagon requests for more closings because Republicans said former
President Bill Clinton had injected politics into the process.

The budget plan also includes the Air Force's retirement of 50 Peacekeeper
intercontinental ballistic missiles, also known as the MX, each of which can
carry nuclear warheads.

"These are important first steps, but the department needs even greater
freedom," Rumsfeld said.

Rep. Norm Dicks, a Washington Democrat, said the fiscal 2002 budget increase
for the military was not large enough, and charged the Bush administration
had not followed through with its campaign pledge to troops that "help is on
the way."

"I thought we were going to see something significant," he said.

Rumsfeld said the boost was significant but that future increases would also
be needed. The budget will have to rise by $18 billion next year just to
sustain programs at current levels, even before the modernization efforts are
considered.

"There is no way we're going to get out of this hole in one year," Rumsfeld
said.

The hearing on the 2002 defense budget touched only briefly on the Bush
administration's plans for a limited national missile defense system.

Rumsfeld said the $8 billion in the budget for missile defense was a small
portion of the overall defense budget and would not pay for deployment,
focusing instead on research, testing and development.

He said the administration would hold talks with Russian officials to develop
a new strategic framework that does not violate the Anti-Ballistic Missile
Treaty with the former Soviet Union.

"The United States has not made a practice of violating treaties and we
certainly don't intend to here," he said.

14:32 07-16-01

Copyright 2001 Reuters Limited.  All rights reserved.  Republication or
redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is
expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.  Reuters
shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any
actions taken in reliance thereon.  All active hyperlinks have been inserted
by AOL.