First off, you do not need to enable iscsi_initiator.
See David Weibel post here:
http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/storage-discuss/2007-March/002484.html
..but that is probably not the cause of this problem.

What do you get from '# iscsiadm list target -v'

What exact variety of target are you using?  Something from Microsoft?

When you enable SendTargets discovery, the initiator should login to the target.
It looks like this is failing. 'devfsadm' will not do anything useful if the
login has failed.

You could try using Dtrace to see what is happening.
Again see David Weibel post here:
http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/storage-discuss/2007-February/002391.html

Also it would be interesting to get an Ethernet capture with 'snoop',
while the initiator is trying to login, & make that capture file available
for us to take a look at.
See Jeff Wen's post here:
http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/storage-discuss/2007-February/002398.html
and my post here:
http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/storage-discuss/2007-February/002397.html

You can use WireShark or Ethereal to look at the capture file and it will
decode the
iScsi protocol.

I always like to take a look at the source code to see what is generating the
error
message. So I used OpenGrok to search the 'nwsc' project,
for the string "unable to connect" and found this:
http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/nwsc/src/sun_nws/iscsi/src/iscsi_login.c#1970
..which to me, looks like it is saying it cannot connect to the socket on the
target,
when opening the TCP connection.
But you say that telnet can connect to port 3260, so that does not agree.
Thanks
Nigel Smith