Hi there,

So I'm sure there's someone out there who has met this problem and has found a solution, therefore, let me ask the source. We are dealing with an international web platform - many many languages. People submit forms in different languages and it all stored in a mySQL database. Basically, I'm having troubles getting UTF8 to work with said database. I have troubles at all levels - stripes and database.

Here's my set up:
    - mySQL 5.1
    - mysql-jdbc 5.1 (driver)
    - tables - utf8
    - LocalePicker is always forcing charset to UTF-8 in stripes

Here's the problem:
- User enters some characters into the form (chinese, russian, hebrew....)
    - ActionBean sticks it into the database and sends email.
    - Fields are declared as Strings and nothing is done to the values
    - When sticking to the database it will contain - ???? as values
    - The output from the database obviously doesn't work
- When printing submitted value on page from ${actionBean.field} it displays junk

I know that browsers send all forms to the servers in ISO-8859-1 encoding. In the good old days, or with plain servlets, I would always have to convert submitted values to UTF-8 with the following: new String(rs.getString(1).getBytes("ISO-8859-1"), "UTF-8"); From then on the value is in UTF-8

In Stripes, I think that the values come to ActionBeans in ISO-8859-1 since StringTypeConverter doesn't do anything. That's fine, I wrote my own converter for UTF using the logic from above. This solves the problem with printing submitted value on the page ${actionBean.field}; but if the value is still displayed in the form it is all grumbled as if it was ISO-8859-1 representation of UTF-8. That I don't understand.

As for storing UTF8 into mySQL - well, if someone can help me out it would be great since I can't get UTF8 string stored in the database without doing the UTF8 to ISO-8859-1 and back conversion while keeping tables at latin1 I would really appreciate it. The main question is Stripes.

I hope this whole rambling makes sense and someone has had this problem previously. Hopefully there was a solution.

Sincerely,
Daniil