Simple solution: declare the accept-charset value on all your forms to be
"UTF-8" (and *only* UTF-8), then put up a simple Filter in front of your chain
which says "request.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8"). This should ensure that you
get full unicodes to the ActionBean, and then you only have to deal with your
DB encodings.

Works for me well.

/Janne