Aaron,
     I am not sure why you are getting that error.  I have never needed
to use a "bean:define" or "jsp:useBean"  to define the object being
iterated over.   It seems your collection (getTasks()) is being found,
or you would get an error like this:

javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: No collection found

Here is what I would try: remove the "bean:write" and put in something
like "hello". Does this get printed x number of times (x being the
number of task objects in your iteration)?  If so, try putting <%= task
%> inside your iteration.  Does it print out something like :
com.razorfront.corporate.task.Task@2b835a , x number of times?

Bill