Brandon,

If you can do the deed (which it sounds like you can), I would hazard offering
my opinion in thinking that it wouldn't be the best use of your time. By
education I'm a graphic designer, not a computer scientist. First job was web
design, programmer ever since. Results... I've only had two places not take me
on because it's not a computer degree. Two interviews of hundreds.

Not having the comp sci degree hasn't been a thorn in my side. People just
worry that you can get the job done. I've worked along side people with
masters, and some rock, other's aren't fit to fetch me my coffee...  :P
   ...most employers recognise that
      (and as a result, get better people to fetch me my coffee).

If you're thinking about spending time to put yourself out there... I reckon
the best thing I ever did was while away some hours eventually becomming a
participant in an open source project. Followed with a tiny site with some
tutorials, helping a few people out along the way. It's been a good thing.

I'd just tend to say, pick a project that scratches and itch, write something
for it, and put it out there. The big plus is that in an interview, if the
topic comes up that touches on the topic that your thing works against, you
can spiel about it with great enthusiasm which is hard to ignore.

But, if there's something at uni that you want to scratch an itch, I'd
probably go ahead with it. I'd love to go to uni to do 3D graphics, but it's
hard for me to be pragmatic when the end result is still just looking for work.

Then you add to the mix that getting a job is more than just your quals. It's
interview technique (spielability skills), are you confident, communicate, etc
etc. Which is another entirely depressing rant all together.

Anyways, it's all just my opinion.

All the best mate.

Arron.

> Hey all,
>
> I'm trying to make a decision as to what I am going to do. I am sucking wind
on profitable work. So, I was thinking about going to school and getting a BA
in Comp Science to make myself more attractive in the job market. Is it really
worth doing? I've been doing development for 5 years professionaly. 2 years
Perl and ASP, 3 years Java. Prior to that I was hobbying in those languages on
my own. My knowledge is competitive with anyone else in my realm of
experience. Anyways, I was just wondering how important you all think a BA in
Computer Science is for a family man trying to give his career a boost.