This guy always has a different but brighter/cleverer view than others.
No wonder why he is leading the development of many open source
projects.

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: March 30, 2003 12:45 AM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: Does a degree matter?

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003, Arron Bates wrote:

> Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 20:36:21 -0600
> From: Arron Bates <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: Does a degree matter?
>
> Brandon,
>
> If you can do the deed (which it sounds like you can), I would hazard
offering
> my opinion in thinking that it wouldn't be the best use of your time.
By
> education I'm a graphic designer, not a computer scientist. First job
was web
> design, programmer ever since. Results... I've only had two places not
take me
> on because it's not a computer degree. Two interviews of hundreds.

My personal experience (both for myself and for folks I have hired over
the years) mirrors this -- indeed, my personal opinion is that a Comp
Sci
degree is worth less (to me as an employer) than a degree in some field
that is more closely associated with the general needs of potential
employers.

Why?  A couple of reasons:

* Many folks who go for Comp Sci degrees obsess over learning the
  particular technologies being taught in their classes, at the expense
  of courses to improve your general thinking skills.  Any specific
  technology you learn in your first year is going to be totally
  obsolete by the time you graduate from the program anyway, so why
  bother?  The important skill to employers (at least from my viewpoint)
  is that you've learned how to quickly adapt your existing skills to
  new technologies as they become available.  Also, the fundamentals
  of good architecture and design practices tend to change much more
  slowly than the favorite language de jour -- so if you decide to go
  for Comp Sci, focus on fundamentals like O-O, design patterns,
  and so on.

* Many folks who go for Comp Sci degrees are so focused on the technical
  things, and don't accumulate any domain knowledge along the way that
  would make you *more* valuable to potential employers than another
  Comp Sci graduate with similar skills.  If you're building e-commerce
  systems, do you know anything about the fundamental accounting
  principles involved in tracking purchases?  If you're building
  systems to introduce novices to the world of online information,
  have you ever studied any human factors engineering?  If you're
  building trading systems for a Wall Street broker, do you have the
  slightest idea how stock and commodity exchanges work?

It may surprise some of you to find out that I don't have a Comp Sci
degree at all -- instead, I got a BA in Business with a focus on
Accounting.  This was ***tremendously*** helpful in setting me apart
from
everyone else who was learning programming and systems analysis in those
days -- I could immediately communicate with the end users responsible
for
the systems we were building, using their vocabulary, without having to
be
trained -- in addition to the fact that I was a fair-to-middlin'
programmer :-).

If you are looking at going to college today (either because it's that
time in your life, or because the job market sucks right now), I would
suggest thinking about a primary major other than Comp Sci (with a Comp
Sci minor to keep your hand in on all the technical stuff).  The name of
the game is making yourself more valuable, relative to everyone else out
there -- and, quite frankly, there are more interesting things in the
world than just computers and web apps :-).

Craig