From: "Mark Lowe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> I'd be interested in any research comparing the readability of the two
> and seeing which site builders prefer.
> <logic:iterate
> or
> <c:forEach
>[...] but I confess I'm more concerned with writing code for humans
> rather than compilers.
> I tend to use
> <jsp:getProperty name="someObj" property="foo" />
>   rather than
> <bean:write name="someObj" property="foo" />
>
> ..but both read better than
>
> <c:out value="${someObj.foo}"/>

Mark, I'm with you on this.
In fact, the very first samples of JSTL I saw were those "cabalistics"
<c:out>, <c:forEach> with all those ${...} "shell like" stuffs, and I have
to admit they gave me a very bad first impression, keeping me away for
investigating more in it.

But in the same time, there is so many valuable people on this list pro-JSTL
than I have to admit I should be wrong to blame it without having a try (or
even, as you noted, that I ought to know it, if it's becoming the standard
!).
Anyway, the arguments pro-JSTL seem to turn around the SQL features, which
in fact is what I'm trying to keep away from : that's why I'm investigating
in Java.

If I wanted to do a quick app, I'll definetely use PHP for this (not
detailing the reasons ...)
 I was at my beginnings writing only ASP (VB6/VBScript/IIS4/WinNT4) or php,
and more than all, MAINTAINING a lot of ASP apps.
It was (is) a nightmare, because there was a lot of logic code duplication
at the top of each single page.
What a mess it should have been, if not only the logic, but the data select
where in the ASPs !!

Seriously, I haven't seen any app with a "select" used by only one page.

I certainly do understand why the select, update, ... tags are in JSTL : to
show users that they are listened to, to have the same functionalities as
other platforms, to attract more and more people on the J2EE platform.

But I simply don't understand why these feature is one of the firsts to be
presented when speaking about JSTL.

OK. Now it's time for me to go and have a closer look on it ! ;))

--
Laurent