Van: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Namens Douglas Bateman
Verzonden: woensdag 11 mei 2005 20:43
Aan: Sundial List
Onderwerp: Latin scholars

Assistance please. I have a motto in Latin that appears to have different translations. Which is correct?

The motto is on a pair of vertical dials and Mrs Gatty (4th edition 1900) gives the following PrĂștereunt: They pass by Imputantur: They are reckoned

However, our respected editor, Dr Margaret Stanier gives the same(?) motto as Pereunt et Imputantur as (The hours) pass away and are set down to (our) charge

Margaret, in her small book on Oxford Sundials, shows this motto on the dial at All Souls' College and says that it is a quote from Martial's Epigrammata.

The mottos don't look the same, but given the scope for mis-copying, are they supposed to be the identical?

Comments please, Doug