Better late than never I would like to enter this debate because I became quite concerned about the lack of objectivity. We seem to have had lots of comments about myths, folklore and personal prejudices. I quote James Lovelock "We live at a time when emotions and feelings count more than the truth, and there is vast ignorance about science."

I have a foot in each camp of sundials and clocks, and being a general student of time I am in favour of summer time throughout the year and then DOUBLE summer time, known as Single Double Summer Time (SDST). I have two reasons for this. During the world wars various countries had continuous summer time and then double summer time for the simple and glaringly obvious reason that the latter is to make the maximum use of a free resource, and conserve strategically important reserves of coal and oil. Happily we no longer have these constraints, but one correspondent believes the energy savings nowadays to be of the order of "only" 1% in the USA. Minor to the individual, but such an annual saving for the USA as a whole, will amount to about 4,000 Megawatts (Wikipedia, World energy resources and consumption).

My next point concerns the lack of symmetry of the 'effective day'. Let us say that on average we rise between 7 and 8am, work "9 to 5", have evening leisure and go to bed at 10 - 11pm. It is obvious that the middle of the effective day is about three in the afternoon. Now there have been some smart comments about setting our alarm clocks an hour or so earlier, which may suit the self employed or retired, but the fact is that modern society likes many activities to start at agreed times, such a shopping, commerce, industry, travel, etc. Society as a whole (at least in the UK and most of Europe) understands the benefits of the one hour summer time change, and indeed is happy to make the change, as it has done so for nearly 100 years. In fact some organisations even plan events to take place on "spring forward" or "fall back" days, and during the winter months, many look forward to the "longer summer evenings" (which could be even longer with double summer time). Note that the one hour shift still leaves the middle of the effective day at about 2pm. I quote list member Dick Koolish "The problem with all these arguments is that they assume that all hours of the day are equally useful, and they obviously are not. A sarcastic or funny joke doesn't change the fact that most people today have more waking hours after noon than before noon."

With regard to the individual early start, as advocated by Frank King, we could suppose that he rises at 5am every day, and if his sleep pattern is like mine, he would need to go to bed about 9pm. This is inconvenient for the vast majority, particularly for evening social events, and Frank may have difficulty staying awake during the speeches at the Fellows' dinners. I have been told that slumping forward face-first into the dessert whilst the Master is on his feet is considered a bad career move. Apart from the joke, another concept is the 'end of the day'. Most theatres, cinemas and other public events start closing about 10pm, and most of the nation watches the 10pm news prior to bedtime, and the end of the day, may I suggest, is more sharply defined than noon (much more so, for most of the population). In other words, it is much more convenient for society as a whole to flick a switch, as it were, and all change an hour at once to synchronise social events, at the very least. In the UK the electricity consumption falls sharply during the evening (ref 1), and shifting the hour spreads the load and reduces consumption.

I now turn to various reports and studies. The entry in Wikipedia is very informative and wide ranging, although it appears to suffer by trying to be all things to all men. However, I realised that data from one country or economic or climatic region does not necessarily apply to another. If follows that any critics of this essay must beware of generalisations, and my writings are necessarily centred on the British Isles. Nevertheless I hope that others can learn from the reports referenced.

Many years ago I purchased a useful report at the Greenwich Observatory, written by Mayer Hillman of the Policy Studies Institute under Nuffield funding, entitled "Time for Change, Setting clocks forward throughout the year, a new review of the evidence", dated 1993. See reference 2 for details. Although somewhat dated, many of the conclusions are still valid, and an updated version does exist. Road accidents studies feature prominently and I quote "In 1992 the Transport Research Laboratory carried out a detailed analysis of of the likely effects of year round single and double summer time. (Overall) ... a reduction of 140 fatalities, 520 serious injuries and 1300 slight injuries... Three quarters of the reduction would accrue during the 22 weeks during winter (a result that surprised me) and a quarter when the clocks were on the summertime setting." The reason for me supporting double DST follows from the 3 year experiment in the UK from 1968 to 1971, but this was discontinued for precisely the reasons given in my opening quotation from James Lovelock. Hillman regrets that some of the reasons were close to deliberate mis- representation of accident statistics by some newspapers, since debunked in Hillman's report and others.

Reference 3 is a report from the Engineering Department, University of Cambridge and from their study I quote Analysis of the data showed that had the clocks not been put back to GMT in winter, electricity savings of 885 GWhs of electricity could have been achieved. GB average daily demand for electricity could have been lower, with a reduction in peak demand for electricity of up to 4.3% during periods of high demand. The electricity wasted on GMT could have supplied 200,000 households and around 447,000 tonnes of CO2 emissions could have been avoided. With double summer time, even more savings can be made. The report makes passing reference to the reduction in accidents, which are significant, and to the economic benefits.

Reference 4 by the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) concentrates on road accidents, but also has a comprehensive review of the history of DST and quotes studies from many other countries. It has a truly astonishing analysis that in the 1968-71 experiment: "Overall, about 2,500 fewer people were killed and seriously injured during the first two winters of the experiment." (One of the sundial list members regards double summer time as "an insanity". I fail to see what is insane about saving lives - back we go to James Lovelock again: ...emotions and feelings count more than the truth.)

The RoSPA report repeats The Policy Studies Institute’s 1988 report of their comprehensive study into different ways of achieving a better match between daylight and waking hours, which gave at least 10 reasons in support of a move to SDST:-

• An overall reduction of about 600 road traffic fatalities and serious injuries in the winter months • A major saving in energy and fuel costs due to the better matching of waking hours with daylight hours • Opportunities for making journeys for social and recreational purposes in daylight are considerably extended which is a major advantage for all groups in the population who are apprehensive about going out in the dark • An overall increase of well over one quarter in the number of hours for daylight-dependent leisure activities in the evening.
• Improvement in general health and well-being
• Small reduction in burglaries and assault carried out in the evenings due to the extra hour of daylight • Extension of the tourist season and a boost of 4% in tourist related earnings • Additional annual earnings of £150 million for the leisure industry as a result of the increase in leisure activity
• Improved convenience of travel and goods transport to and from Europe
• Matching time with Europe would benefit trade and communications

The RoSPA report, does however, note that over the years driving, social, environmental (some countries use more air conditioning, etc), worldwide trade and other factors have changed, etc, and calls for another trial of single and double summer time.

There are disadvantages of DST to the construction industry, some farmers, and those whose jobs start very early in day. The cost of even changing all the clocks has been mentioned. For the latter, many have clocks that are controlled by radio signals that change automatically (I have four, discounting the computers and video recorder) and I regard my own efforts for a modest collection of clocks as quite minimal against the reduction in my lighting costs. On the other hand, public clocks are different matter, but I have never heard of this being used as a reason for discontinuing DST.

Those who oppose single and double summer time may be chastened by Hillman's remark that "... many of the objections to SDST are weak or ill founded." Let us hope that objectors to this essay will read the reports carefully, and if counter arguments to my admittedly selective statements can be found, please let them be based on science and logic.

Facts
1.  Time can be defined to what we want it to be.
2. Central European Time extends from Estonia (25ºE) to Spain (9ºW) (A little over 2 nominal time zones). Note that west Spain is further west than the most westerly part of the UK, and Spain is effectively on SDST. 3. China operates on Beijing time extending from 135ºE to 75ºE, over 4 time zones ("It's the economy, stupid". A notice in the 1992 presidential campaign headquarters for Bill Clinton). 4. The whole calendar was changed in 1582 (and we are fretting over the odd hour...).

Opinions
a. Energy conservation and CO2 emissions are becoming very important, and the proponents haven't yet fully latched onto all year daylight saving and double DST - they will, they will. b. Opponents of DST are in a difficult ethical dilemma on energy saving grounds, and in the USA acutely so. c. Opponents of DST are in a difficult ethical dilemma on road safety grounds where, in the UK, the reduction in fatalities is estimated to be between 104 and 138 (quoting from a later Transport Research Laboratory report TRL368 (1998).
d.  We need not be trapped by tradition.
e. There are bigger things to worry about than assigning a particular number to when the sun is notionally due south.

I hope that I have shed some light on the annual silly debate, and look forward to some acclaim (I hope) and probably some protests.

Regards, Doug

Reference 1. UK daily and weekly electricity demand, see www.nationalgrid.com/uk/Electricity/Data/Realtime/Demand/Demand8.htm Note the nearly 50% drop between about 8.30pm and 11pm.

Reference 2.
Time for Change Mayer Hillman  Senior Fellow Emeritus
Publisher

PSI, £5.95, 1993, pp40

Summary Please note this publication is available as a free download - see the link below It is over 25 years since the UK discontinued the three-year experiment of setting clocks one hour ahead of GMT in the winter, thereby maintaining British Standard Time throughout the year.

In 1988 PSI published Making the Most of Daylight Hours, based on the findings of a study aimed at establishing the consequences of achieving a better match of waking hours and daylight hours by putting clocks one hour ahead of their current setting in both summer and winter. The conclusions - that the benefits would far outweigh the costs - were widely welcomed in the media. Subsequent public opinion polls have shown a 3 to 1 majority in favour of the reform.

This review updates and summarises the findings of Making the Most of Daylight Hours, and incorporates additional evidence previously unavailable. It explores all the key issues relating to the theme: accidents and security; leisure activity; health; work and industry; domestic tourism; overseas travel; trade and communication; fuel consumption; Scotland; and political issues.

download as a single file (pdf - 7.8MB) ISBN: 9780853745464 (pbk) ISBN: 9780853748281 (pdf)

Reference 3.

Daylight Saving, Electricity Demand and Emmisions; Exploratory Studies from Great BritainYu-Foong Chong, Elizabeth Garnsey, Simon Hill and Frederick Desobry. Department of Engineering, University of Cambridge, 27 October 2007. Can be viewed at www.ifm.eng.cam.ac.uk/people/ewg/091022_dst.pdf

Reference 4.
Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents
Single/Double Summer Time Position Paper, May 2003, Revised September 2004, Updated October 2005
www.rospa.com/roadsafety/info/summertime_paper.pdf
Probably the most useful 20 page report, which lists 40 organisations which responded to questionnaires, and with 27 references