Dear Roger,

Delighted to see that you heed my Rule 2:

 2. Never believe anything you read
    anywhere [else] without checking.

Very properly you have checked my assertions
and found them wanting!  That's the kind of
guy I like!

I was basing my false assertions on a report
from an erstwhile colleague of mine who was
in India for three years.  He told me about
his frightening taxi ride 18 months ago to
the site of this sundial - all for my benefit!

He DID add "This complex seems to be work
in progress and maybe one day there will
be better access."

It seems this has happened already which
is very quick by local standards!

I very much echo this thought:

> In any case, celebrate the return of
> the sun, the winter solstice at 10:44