On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 17:44:20 +0100
Carsten John <cj...@mpi-bremen.de> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> we are still having problems.
>
> What I found out in the meantime is that definitely gdm is the problem.
>
> It works for about a day (or a few days?). Then suddenly gdm does not
> provide login service any more, resulting the DTUs to hang in 26D.
>
> Obviously gdmdynamic stops communication with gdm. A "gdmdynamic -l -v"
> at the command line does not give any results and needs to be
> interrupted via CTRL+c.

I think I see the same problem on a quite new installation.
strace shows that gmdynamic gets a SERVER_BUSY answer
(see http://projects.gnome.org/gdm/docs/2.20/controlling.html , section 7.3.22)
from the gdm master process and waits and tries again and waits ....
I increased MAX_CONNECTIONS in daemon/gdm-net.c from 15 to 100
and this seems to help.
I have no idea why the problem appears now and not earlier.
Some changes from gdm 2.20.7 to 2.20.11 or some changes in the
linux kernel or in the SRSS code? I can't reconstruct it.

 - Meik

--
Meik Hellmund
Mathematisches Institut, Uni Leipzig