On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 05:02:39PM +0300, Max Korzhanoff wrote:
> Okay, I'm not so straight in this, so I assume that I can be wrong.
> I'm agree with you about my situation.
> And my main question was about status of suphp spawned php processes
> (zombie status). I want to bring some light in this question and maybe call
> Sebastian Marsching to fix this in next release or maybe someone else will
> make a patch.
>
> Monitoring situation I even found httpd zombie processes.
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# ps axwww | grep def
> 1631 ?        Z      0:04 [httpd] <defunct>
> 7474 ?        Z      0:00 [php-cgi] <defunct>
> 7529 ?        Z      0:00 [php-cgi] <defunct>
> 7568 ?        Z      0:00 [php-cgi] <defunct>
> 7590 pts/1    S+     0:00 grep def
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# ps axwww | grep def
> 5891 ?        Z      0:01 [httpd] <defunct>
> 7600 pts/1    S+     0:00 grep def
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# ps axwww | grep def
> 7491 ?        Z      0:00 [httpd] <defunct>
> 7598 ?        Z      0:00 [php-cgi] <defunct>
> 7602 ?        Z      0:00 [php-cgi] <defunct>
> 7604 ?        Z      0:00 [php-cgi] <defunct>
> 7605 ?        Z      0:00 [php-cgi] <defunct>
> 7615 pts/1    S+     0:00 grep def
>
> This httpd processes is owned by main httpd process (which have ppid 1).

Okay, so you have a zombie process problem on your machine, particularly
with Apache-related programs.

Something I'm curious about, since the RSS of your httpd process is
quite large (150MBytes):

When you make httpd.conf changes and need to restart Apache, how are you
doing it?  Are you using "apachectl restart", or some init script which
does something similar?

If so, I would recommend you not.  Apache has a history of having
problems with function namespaces being lost or breaking in odd ways
after using "restart", especially with mod_perl (definitely confirmed
with mod_perl 1.x).  The same goes for when adding/removing modules.

I always advocate a full "stop" and "start", which is not the same thing
as "apachectl restart".

Another common one is people sending the main httpd process SIGHUP,
which isn't what people should be doing.  They should be using SIGUSR1,
or "apachectl graceful".

Another possibility is logging oddities (if you're using log directives
in Apache with pipes, for example -- though those bugs are supposedly
fixed...)

Those are all of my ideas.  Otherwise I'd recommend you hire a good,
low-level Linux SA and let them try to figure out what's going on with
the system.