Hi everybody,

comparing the three definitions below

1. citation from the manifesto:

   making smart use of technology to support well-being in the
   preferred living environment for people who might otherwise
   find this difficult (e.g. infirm or very elderly people who
   want to continue living in their own homes)

2. citation from "AALIANCE Ambient Assisted Living Roadmap", IOS
   Press, ISBN 978-1-60750-498-6, page viii:

   AAL refers to intelligent systems of assistance for a better,
   healthier and safer life in the preferred living environment
   and covers concepts, products and services that interlink
   and improve new technologies and the social environment.
   It aims at enhancing the quality of life (the physical, mental
   and social well-being) for everyone (with a focus on elder
   persons) in all stages of their life. AAL can help elder
   individuals to improve their quality of life, to stay
   healthier and to live longer, thus extending one’s active and
   creative participation in the community.

3. the scope of AAL Joint Programme as cited on page 4 of the
   above book:

   cultivating the development of innovative ICT-based products,
   services and systems for the process of ageing well at home,
   in the community and at work, therefore improving the quality
   of life, autonomy, the participation in social life, skills
   and the employability of elder people and reducing the costs
   of health and social care

AALOA's definition seems to be the most restrictive one by adding "for people who might otherwise find this difficult" as well as emphasizing just on home environment; this contradicts with both the R&D and the market perspectives in the same section of the manifesto, as well as with the vision of AAL spaces in the section following that. I do not like the phrase "making smart use of technology" either, as I don't know when the use of technology is smart and when not, AND it distracts from the more important (for AALOA) usage of "smart" in combinations like "smart environments".

I believe that we must keep this definition very short, because this definition is not part of the core message of the manifesto but just an obligation and hence must be kept as general as possible to avoid mistakes and / or discussions. I also believe that direct (or even indirect) citations would not match the style of the manifesto, either.

Hence, I just suggest to change it the following way:

   employing technology to support well-being for everyone in all
   situation of life, with a priority for people who might be hit
   more by need for assistance (e.g. infirm or very elderly people)

What do you think?

Regards,

-- Saied