Harmon Seaver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Subject: Re: RE: Charlton Heston.
>
>     The only real problem with the NRA is they wimped out. What we need is an
> organization with real balls who will start bringing lawsuits and criminal
> charges
> against anyone who even mentions gun control.

You mean "anti gun laws".  Gun control is being able to hit your target.

The problem is that we have a number of organizations out there with
more balls than brains.  Fortunately, unlike many of its even more
radical brethren, the NRA has kept it efforts officially in the legal
and legislative arenas.

> After all, all gun laws are illegal
> and
> unconstitutional, and anyone who proposes or tries to pass or implement them
> is by
> definition violating my civil rights, and as such obviously belongs in jail,
> or at
> least so tied up in lawsuits that they'll be dysfunctional essentially
> forever.

Frankly, I think the Firearms Act of 1938 is a pretty good compromize.

>      That's why I no longer belong to the NRA.

So, to which extreem right wing group do you belong?

> If they start playing it straight
> again and announce their intention to rid us of the oppressive state and
> national
> firearms laws,

They have had stated in writing in their policy statement since at least
the 1970's that it is their intent to completely destroy the Firearms
Act of 1938.  Is that straight enough for you?

> ...especially the machinegun laws,

This may come as a surprize to you, but it is not illegal to own a
machine gun in the USA.  You have to go through a mountain of paperwork,
pay some stiff fees, get an FBI background check, and provide proof of
security for the weapon, but if you can jump through all of those hoops
you can own your very own machine gun.

The days when criminals like Al Capone could go and buy machine guns at
their local hardware stores are long gone, and I say let them go.  I
don't want criminals wandering the streets with machine guns.  For
damned sure I don't want to have to defend myself with a machine gun.  I
had enough of that when I was in the Army.

> ...I'd probably start contributing again.
> Jefferson and Washington, et al, would have personally shot dead anyone who
> suggested
> that the 2nd Amendment had anything to do with sporting weapons, except in an
> ancillary way, i.e., *anything* could be used to fight a war,

I doubt they had even considered the issue.  Back then many soldiers,
particularly officers, provided their own firearms.  The technology of
sporting guns of the time was actually better than that of military
guns.  At that time there was little distinction between what was a
military gun and what was a sporting gun.

> ...and likewise anyone who
> proposed that it didn't apply to all the people, including children...

It does apply to children.  It's perfectly legal for children to use
firearms.
-=*UNDER ADULT SUPERVISION!*=-  Which is as it should be!

I know.  My grandfather taught me how to shoot when I was 7.

> and convicted felons.

Why shouldn't convicted felons have their rights to own firearms
restricted?  They have already shown they aren't trustworthy.  Much of
the time by using firearms to commit crimes.  If they show that they can
fit back into society, and be good little boys and girls they can earn
their full franchize back, and have their rights reinstated.  I know
personally several who have.

> Read the writings of the founding fathers -- they said all this *very*
> clearly, over and over.

I have.  And I find much of what they wrote open to interpretation.
They even disagreed among themselves about the issue.

>      The real problem is that we have a criminal organization running the
> country,
> from the top down, and it doesn't matter if it's Slick Willie or Dubbya, it's
> all
> the same, just another criminal gang.

Fortunately, we still have a democratic system to work with, so if you
don't like it you can change it by going to your polling place and
voting on election day.  Every election day!

Exercise your First Ammendment right to free speach and support the
candidates you like.

If you don't like any of the other excuses for politicians then nominate
one, or run for office yourself.  If you don't like any of the other
political parties then get together with enough like minded people and
form your own political party.

We got into the political mess we're in because so few Americans bother
to vote.  Less than half of us, usually, and that's in presidential
elections.  In non-presidential elections it's usually around 30%.  In
local elections with no national issues I've seen turnouts as low as 5%.
 Which is really sad, because the local and state issues will have much
more direct effect on your life than the federal stuff.  Because of our
voter apathy, we Americans have no one to blame but ourselves for the
mess we're in.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:  If you don't exercise your
right to vote then you forfeit your right to bitch.

--
Aviation is more than a hobby.  It is more than a job.  It is more than
a career.  Aviation is a way of life.