>Yes, and we in Canada should do the same to Ethyl, eh?
>
>They set the precedent that will now serve Methanex.
>
>See: http://www.globalpolicy.org/socecon/envronmt/ethyl.htm
>

>Edward Beggs, BES, MSc
>www.biofuels.ca

How about Gerber?

... Chiefly because of this false advertising, according to UNICEF,
1.5 million infants die each year because their mothers unwittingly
prepare infant formula with contaminated water, causing fatal
diarrhea.

During the 1970s, a world-wide grass-roots campaign focused attention
on this problem, boycotting products made by Nestle, a major
manufacturer of infant formula.

Partly because of the Nestle boycott, the World Health Organization
(WHO) developed and published a Code on Marketing of Breast-Milk
Substitutes. The WHO code prohibits words like "humanized breastmilk"
and "equivalent to breastmilk." Furthermore, to protect illiterate
women from being duped, the WHO code prohibits pictures on labels
"that idealize the use of bottle feeding."

In 1983, Guatemala passed a law and regulations incorporating the WHO
code. The goal of the Guatemalan government was to encourage new
mothers (1) to breast-feed their infants and (2) to fully understand
the threats to their babies of using infant formula as a substitute
for breast milk. The Guatemalan law prohibited the use of labels that
associated infant formula with a healthy, chubby baby; specifically,
the law prohibited pictures of idealized babies on packages of baby
food intended for children younger than 2 years. Furthermore, the
Guatemalan law required labels to carry a statement that
breast-feeding is nutritionally superior.

The law also prohibited baby food manufacturers from providing free
samples of their products (if a baby starts taking free samples the
mother stops lactating, thus converting mother and infant into
full-time, paying customers). And finally the law prohibited baby
food manufacturers from directly marketing their products to young
mothers in the hospital.

The regulations went into effect in 1988 and all domestic and foreign
manufacturers of baby foods -- with one notable exception -- came
into compliance. Infant deaths attributable to bottle feeding
declined, and UNICEF began highlighting Guatemala as a model for what
works.

However, the U.S. baby food manufacturer, Gerber (motto: "Babies Are
Our Business"), objected to Guatemala's new law. Although the
Guatemalan Ministry of Health made numerous attempts to negotiate
with Gerber, the company reportedly continued to market its infant
formula directly to mothers in the hospital, and continued to give
free samples to doctors and day care centers.

Most importantly Gerber refused to remove its trademark picture of a
chubby, smiling baby from its product labels, and it refused to add a
phrase saying breast milk was superior. In sum, Gerber thumbed its
nose at Guatemalan health authorities, who were trying to protect
their most vulnerable citizens, infants, against harm.

In November, 1993 -- ten years after Guatemala passed its law, and
five years after its regulations went into effect -- Gerber lost its
final appeal. A Guatemalan Administrative Tribunal ruled in favor of
the Ministry of Health and it looked as though even Gerber would have
to comply with the Guatemalan law.

But Gerber opened a new line of attack on Guatemala, arguing that the
Guatemalan law was illegal under international statutes because the
law was really an "expropriation of Gerber's trademark." This tactic
bought Gerber some time while the World Trade Organization was being
created. Then in 1995, when the WTO came into being, Gerber dropped
its claim about illegal expropriation of its trademark and began
threatening to challenge Guatemala before a WTO tribunal.

Within a short time, Guatemala realized it was now up against immense
power and the Guatemalan government changed its law to allow Gerber
to have its way. Gerber won without ever having to formally request
that the U.S. take its case to the WTO. Just a few letters containing
the WTO threat were sufficient.
[more]

http://www.rachel.org/bulletin/bulletin.cfm?Issue_ID=1646&bulletin_ID=48
Rachel's Weekly #677 - Corporate Rights vs. Human Need, November 18, 1999

etc etc etc - not NAFTA indeed, NAFTA's big brother (everybody's!!),
but so what if you die of cancer or Parkinson's disease (MMT) or
dishonest advertising? You're dead anyway.

Keith

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.