Paddy at Goat writes:

>As with a lot of info on the net, there seems to be a lot of contradictions.
>Glycerin has been said to be a valuable biproduct, but retails at £750.00
>per tonne (GBP) ex Albion chemicals, UK, which is not that fantastic for
>the producer. Other possibilities discussed have been for fertiliser (not a
>good option for myself) or as a furnace fuel for heating oil for drying or
>getting to reaction temperature. Nobody seems to have come forward with
>a good design for the furnace, which would involve preheating the fuel to
>about 500 degrees C to get a clean burn, but I peronnally think this is the
>best option and intend to persue this avenue. My stock pile of glycerine
>are beginning to become a problem and i don't want to dump it as waste.

The one I find ironic is "use your glycerine to make soap", as if glycerine is
a component, rather than a byproduct, of soap manufacture. It's true that
traditional soapmakers leave the glycerine in there, but that's largely because
it's so hard to remove it. It's also true that the glycerine phase
left over after
making biodiesel will wash things, but that's because of the SOAP in there,
not because of the glycerine. A LITTLE glycerine in your soap makes it softer
and a better emollient, but I get much better results with half tallow and
half extracted FFA's. That makes for less glycerine and better soap, but
doesn't help with glycerine disposal :-)

I regard the glycerine as a total nuisance, but since it's just a simple sugar
and quickly biodegrades, I don't hesitate to compost it or flush it, once the
soap and alkali have been neutralized.

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!