HYPERLINK
"http://www.herbalhut.com/mfrs/hh_raw_materials.asp"http://www.herbalhut.com
/mfrs/hh_raw_materials.aspÊsells it for $46.96 a gallon "wholesale"

Sell it as hand lotion? Glycerin is sold in the states as "Corn Husker's
Lotion".
Need some 1/2 pint bottles and a bottling machine.

It has broad uses.

Kirk

ÊPerhaps added value?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =

MANUFACTURE OF POLYGLYCOLS

FROM CRUDE GLYCERIN

ÊÊÊÊ G. HILLION, I. DURAND, R. STERN, G. DA COSTA

ÊAbstract

ÊÊÊÊÊÊÊÊÊÊÊ The aim of this study was to develop a new process for the
synthesis of polyglycerols from crude glycerin. Glycerin is the main
by-product of the "BiodieselØ" process and therefore a cheap and in big
quantities available raw material.

ÊÊÊÊÊÊÊÊÊÊÊ Three different qualities of crude glycerin are available on the
market (basic, sulphuric and chlorhydric glycerins) from the two French
"DIESTERØ" units in ROUEN and in COMPIEGNE.

>From sulphuric glycerin, the polyglycerols obtained contains a very low
concentration of soluble salts. Besides, it causes no corrosion problems
like chlorhydric glycerin. The nature of the soluble salts in glycerin
determines the polyglycerol distributions and the mixtures obtained have
different compositions compared with the commercial products. The basic
glycerin contains big amounts of sodium soaps and yields polyglycerols with
25% (by weight) of cyclic compounds. Thus, sulphuric glycerin is certainly
the best raw material.

The polycondensation of sulphuric glycerin is carried out in presence of
sodium sulphate (5% max) with sodium hydroxide within a temperature range of
250 to 265¿CØ. Conversion rates are determined by measuring the quantity of
water which is produced during the reaction. For example, the synthesis of
theoretical decaglycerol would lead to a weight loss of 18% by generation of
water. For decaglycerol production a theoretical yield of 86.9% (by weight)
has been determined. A yield of 79.4% was obtained during the industrial
test. Different compositions of polyglycerols can be obtained with different
degrees of polycondensation.

ÊÊÊÊÊÊÊÊÊÊÊ The first step of the downstream process is a filtration which
partly removes the residual salts. The removal of the remaining salts by ion
exchange resins improves as well the colour of the product.

ÊÊÊÊÊÊÊÊÊÊÊ Polyglycerol esters can be obtained by addition of fatty acids
or methyl esters at 190¿C - 220¿C to the crude mixture which still contains
the catalyst. In this case, the salts can be removed after the
neutralisation of the basic catalyst.

Estimated cost of polyglycerols are depending on the price of crude glycerin
and the capacity of the unit. The manufacturing costs of crude polyglycerols
(without purification by ion exchange resins) decrease from 16 to 10FØ/kg if
the annual productions increase from 100Øt/a to 500Øt/a.

For information, market price varies between 15 and 32F/kg depending of the
purity and the composition of the product.

Polyglycerols in the ester forms, are good emulsifying agents. Their main
uses concern food industry and cosmetics.