Hi all,

I was trying to make BD from a pure FFA source.  I went out and bought some
stearic acid to try adding methanol and sulfuric acid to make Bd.  The
analysis of the Stearic acid came out like this.  60% palmitic, 39% stearic
and almost 1% myristic.   How come stearic acid is made up more of
palmitic.  It should be called palmitic acid and not stearic anymore.  This
grade i bought was USP grade and triple pressed.

Another question lingering in my mind is how do you calculate how much
catalyst to use.  In esterification for example to make BD.  How much H2SO4
should i add to how much FFA and alcohol.  Is there a book that teaches how
to calculate stuff like this.

Thanks to everyone
Ken

Buy Stock for $4