From: Harmon Seaver [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, June 07, 2002 6:07 AM
To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [biofuel] Re: EPA Ruling Backfires, Spurs Sales of Diesel
Trucks

On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 04:26:16AM -0000, motie_d wrote:

>  I'm hesitant to jump into the middle of a hot debate, but IMHO the
> reason Cummins doesn't (not can't) build better Diesel engines, is
> the same reason Mercedes VW etc. won't/don't sell them here. Very
> poor fuel!

    Yes -- but it's the US auto industry, working hand and glove with Big
Oil,
who has shot down attempts to clean up diesel fuel. Sort of a
self-fulfilling
prophecy -- because we know if Detroit started demanding cleaner fuel, it
would
be happen quickly, but we also know the incestuous relationship there where
the
oil companies help the auto companies fight off milage requirements and then
they return the favor via the clean fuel issue.

>  A provocative thought...Who is really more technically advanced? The
> engine builders that can only use highly refined European fuels, or
> the ones who can run on the junk fuel we have in the US? Are we maybe
> comparing Apples and Oranges?

    It's not only who is more advanced, but who is more responsible. Let's
face
it, the US auto industry has built junk for decades. Think about it -- isn't
it
much easier to build a a low-efficiency engine that burns low quality fuel
and
gets low milage than to design a hi-tech engine that takes advantage of
better
fuel?

>  Would it be a fair comparison to run a European engine on our junk
> fuel, and an American engine on European fuel? Which manufacturers
> will willingly provide warranty service for their engine if such a
> test were to be scheduled?

   My understanding is that the European (and Japanese) engines don't have
that
much problem running on our fuel, they just can't meet emission tests when
they
do, and why should they be expected to? Both industry and gov't knew decades
ago
that fuels needed to be cleaned up -- what are they waiting for? It should
have
been mandated 20 years ago. Instead we see the EPA blocking small biodiesel
production -- what a sick joke. High sulfur fuel and coal is responsible for
acid rain, we've known this for at least 40 years -- why is it still being
burned and clean fuels being stonewalled? Pretty sick.
   I think we need much tighter controls on the trucking industry all across
the
board -- both in air pollution and noise pollution, why should they be
exempt? Same with tractors and construction equipment and boats and planes.
For
some time now I've been thinking of starting a website to solicit funds for
class action lawsuit against Harley-Davidson for building an unsafe
product -
unsafe in that they violate all motor vehcle muffler laws right out of the
showroom. It would be a pretty easy case to win, and the funds generated
could
then be used to hit all the other manufacturers of noisy machines.
    Back in '62 a friend of mine bought a brand new BMW motorcycle. It was
so
quiet you literally couldn't tell if it was running unless you put your hand
on
it or looked at the tach. It totally amazed those of us who grew up with
Harley's (my first bike was a '47 Harley, btw). There's just no excuse for
all
those noisy, smoke belching machines -- the technolgy to build better stuff
has
been around for a long time -- why is US industry dragging it's feet? I
think
it's more a matter of a cowboy attitude than anything else -- the macho
"I'll do
what I want and to hell with everybody else" attitude we see so prevalent in
US
foreign policy and everything else.
   I was out fishing the other night and some asshole in a *huge* inboard
boat
with dual V8 engines and absolutely no mufflers was cruising up and down the
river. What I would have given for a torpedo!

--
Harmon Seaver
CyberShamanix

---