--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Harmon Seaver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<<<<<big snip>>>>>

> It was so
> quiet you literally couldn't tell if it was running unless you put
your hand on
> it or looked at the tach. It totally amazed those of us who grew up
with
> Harley's (my first bike was a '47 Harley, btw). There's just no
excuse for all
> those noisy, smoke belching machines -- the technolgy to build
better stuff has
> been around for a long time -- why is US industry dragging it's
feet?

Because that is what consumers will buy. If no one was buying Harleys
because of the noise, they would quiet them down.
In the trucking industry, new truck sales are skyrocketing, and so
are newer used trucks. No one wants to buy the less-efficient engines
that will require much more expensive maintainance that are being
mandated. Check out Cummins'

http://www.cummins.com/na/pages/en/products/trucks/isx.cfm

 website and their ISX engine. I prefer the higher torque of the 600
Signature Series, but the ISX is still pretty good at 1850 ft/lbs.,
and can meet emmissions standards. Mercedes or VW can't compare or
compete. You admitted that European manufacturers can't meet our
emmissions standards using our fuel. Cummins can.

 I think
> it's more a matter of a cowboy attitude than anything else -- the
macho "I'll do
> what I want and to hell with everybody else" attitude we see so
prevalent in US
> foreign policy and everything else.

I agree that may be a portion of the problem, but I think it mostly
comes down to economics. I can't afford to pay an extra $5000 for an
engine that gets less mileage, and needs more maintainance. How many
people would buy a Mercedes, if they had to pay $5000 extra for an
engine that has less horsepower and fuel economy?

>    I was out fishing the other night and some asshole in a *huge*
inboard boat
> with dual V8 engines and absolutely no mufflers was cruising up and
down the
> river. What I would have given for a torpedo!

A well-muffled and environmentally correct torpedo?

Motie

Please do NOT send &quot;unsubscribe&quot; messages to the list address.