On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 03:57 am, John E Hayes III wrote:

> >>A number of reasons.  I have been inundated with it, and none of it will
> >>change my mind and I doubt I'll change anyone elses.
> >
> >People's minds, behaviour and actions are very often changed through
> >discussion with other people. That has happened here quite a lot.
>
> "In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a
> really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would
> actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them
> again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should,
> because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it
> happens every day. I cannot recall the last time someting like that
> happened in politics or religion."   -- Carl Sagan, 1987 CSICOP keynote
> address
>
> Cheers
>
> John

Yes, it has happened to me too. Several times. One time I remember
particularly was arguing with my wife until 3 am in the morning that science
and religion were not related. She finally convinced me that they were
related. then I could go to sleep (to be clear, she was happy to leave it. I
kept arguing. I think she was vaguely bemused. Tired, but bemused. Frustrated
but bemused. I know she likes me because I woke up free of bruises :-) )

I guess my own lack of clarity has made it very hard for me to articulate
exactly why it is wrong to go to war here. I mean, I can think of dozens of
reasons, but without a clear idea as to why the US (if living in the US
substitute "washington", if in Washington substitute "the folks on the hill"
or whatever...) wants to go to war so badly.

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures

http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/FGYolB/TM