Wow, thanks Ken and Martin, great info and thank you for responding!
I thought there was no way a generator/alternator genhead could
backfeed the grid. Everything I see on the web says I need an
induction motor to do that.

Anyway, what I really want to know is how to prevent "islanding" when
the utility goes offline. Any suggestions/references?

--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Basterfield" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Martin the is nothing technical to stop you using your alternator
as it is
> to feed back into the main supply. All you need to do is
synchronise the
> alternator output with the mains and then close the switch to
couple the
> two. You will have to common the neutrals.   A lamp connected
between mains
> phase and alternator phase is all that is required. As the engine
speed is
> slowly increased,  the the lamp will begin to beat slowly on and
off as the
> alternator phase signal slowly slips past the mains phase. When the
lamp
> goes out the two signals are in phase and can be connected
together. I.e.
> you close the switch. henceforth the alternator will be sychronised
to the
> mains and if you increase the Diesel engine throttle, power will be
fed to
> the mains supply. The lamp will have to be double voltage to avoid
blowing
> it. A 240 volt lamp when connecting 110 systems or two 240 lamps in
series
> if running off 240 volt systems.
>
> Don't throw out the alternator just to fit  an induction motor
unless your
> alternator has specific instructions from the manufactor saying
that you are
> not allowed to connect it to the mains.
>
> This same system of synchronising using beating lamps can be
applied to 3
> phase alternators, just connect 3 lamps between each of the
respective  3
> phases----- Original Message -----
> Ken

If you