So what you advocate is avarice and conspicuous consumption in order to keep
"poor working slob[s] ... in america" employed?

Doesn't matter if that conspicuous consumption promotes exploitation of
other people and resources?

So everyone should "go out and shop," at least according to the gospel of
G.W. Bush - just ignore the reality that unfolds around us?

For those who have failed to take notice, it is the excessive consumption
revolution that has brought us to a point where control of resources become
national security issues, with maintenance of "jobs" and "preserving the
American lifestyle" taking precedence over any humanity external to America
or the environment across the board.

So who is it that really needs to wake up? Those that promote the fast trip
to nowheresville or those who propose putting on the brakes to the same
destination?

Sure, a boycott using US economic/war policy as the justification is not the
same as a boycott predicated directly upon conspicuous consumption. But the
end result is similar - a reduction in consumption (and yes, a reduction in
production).

It's about time that western civilization realized that it's time for a
correction in the collective mindset - that we don't have the right to covet
hundreds of times more possessions, materials and resources when hundreds of
millions don't have enough to survive on and billions don't have much more.

Sorry. But a wide screen T.V. in every pot is not going to make the world a
better place.

Todd Swearingen