Hi Darryl and all

>"Jerry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > What is wrong with you people??
>
>Good question.  I think it is an over-indulged sense that I can make
>the world a
>better place.

:-) And long may you suffer this no-doubt foolish delusion.

Re Exxon Mobil - very good choice, nasty company (the world's largest
publicly traded corporation), right in the thick of it all, and a lot
of the work has already been done.

>But I may have a candidate.  Imperial Oil, aka Esso.  70% owned by
>Exxon Mobil.
>Hmmm... do I recall that Exxon Mobil officials had a closed door session with
>PresBush before the Iraq invasion?  Isn't this military incursion
>focused on oil?
>Added bonus - Esso has about the worst environmental record for oil
>companies in
>Canada.  Still produces the highest sulphur gasoline in Ontario.  Tie to Exxon
>Valdez is just too easy, even for the gasoline-addicted crowd.
>
>So, should we target the tiger?  Would a U.S. version of the same
>boycott also be
>effective?  Is Exxon/Esso visible in the rest of the world?
>
>Do people believe that a 10% drop in retail sales would be noticed by the
>ExxonMobil accounting department?  Do people believe that this would
>get mentioned
>to Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld/Powell?
>
>More research required to establish the chain of connections to
>ensure this is an
>appropriate target.  Your assistance is invited.  Then onto tactics
>- I already
>have some ideas.  Nothing illegal, just targeting the bottom line.
>When is the
>busiest time at gas stations?

Exxon Valdez aside...

>http://www.observer.co.uk/magazine/story/0,11913,738196,00.html
>Dark heart of the American dream
>It's the most polluted state in the planet's most powerful country.
>Ed Vulliamy goes into George Bush's backyard to reveal how big oil
>got in bed with big politics and the price paid by the little people
>Sunday June 16, 2002
>The Observer
>... 'You are looking at the biggest oil refinery in the world,'
>indicates LaNell Anderson. She refers to the edifice that is the
>3,000-acre Exxon Mobil plant at Baytown, near Houston, producer of
>507,800 barrels a day. Here begins a story of both dynasty and
>destiny, for it was on this spot in 1917 that the Bush family's oil
>connection was forged - where the Humble Oil company, which struck
>black gold in the Houston suburb of that name, took root, later to
>become the Exxon behemoth. Humble's founder, William Stamps Farish,
>went on to become president of Standard Oil. His daughter became a
>friend of George Bush Sr and his grandson William Jr was taken in
>'almost like family' (said Barbara Bush) while campaigning for
>George Sr's entrŽe into Washington Senatorial politics in 1964.
>Farish Jr claims to have been the first man to whom Bush Sr confided
>his ambition to be president one day, and was last year named US
>Ambassador to London...

>http://www.thenation.com/capitalgames/index.mhtml?bid=3&pid=74
>The Nation
>ExxonMobil-Sponsored Terrorism?
>06/14/2002 @ 12:30am
>Why are villagers in the Aceh province of Indonesia--or their
>lawyers--worrying about contributions from Exxon Mobil to George W.
>Bush and the Republicans?

>http://www.oneworld.net/cgi-bin/index.cgi?root=1680&url=http%3A%2F%2F
>www%2Eafricaaction%2Eorg%2Fdocs02%2Fadr0211a%2Ehtm
>South Africa: Apartheid Debt & Reparations, 1
>021112
>A suit was filed today, November 12, in the New York Eastern
>District Court against 8 banks and 12 other companies in six Western
>countries for apartheid reparations, on behalf of the Khulumani
>Support Group and individual "victims of state-sanctioned torture,
>murder, rape, arbitrary detention, and inhumane treatment."
>... 1.10 Exxon Mobil Corporation

Turn up just about any ugly stone and you'll find them there.

As to whether it's relevant, have a look at this, for starters:

>http://www.corpwatch.org/news/PND.jsp?articleid=6128
>Iraq: US Army Depots Named After Oil Giants
>By Neela Banerjee
>New York Times
>March 27, 2003
>The subtleties surrounding the sensitive role oil plays in the Iraqi
>war may have eluded the United States Army. Deep in some newspaper
>coverage yesterday was a report that the 101st Airborne Division had
>named one central Iraq outpost Forward Operating Base Shell and
>another Forward Operating Base Exxon.
>... others involved in the oil industry say the Pentagon's
>indifference to the names of the bases was poorly considered. "You
>have this atmosphere of suspicion and apprehension now, and that's
>just among your allies," Jan Stuart, head of research for global
>energy futures at ABN Amro, the Dutch investment bank, said. "And in
>this atmosphere, you call your own supply effort this. It's
>mind-boggling the degree of insensitivity. There is little doubt the
>Americans will win the war, but you have to wonder how people who
>are so insensitive are going to win the peace."

Exxon Mobil has taken a lot of bad publicity and boycotting in
Britain and Europe, and it's hurt them, though they deny that of
course.

>http://www.planetark.org/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/17600/story.htm
>UK poll reports switch from Esso fuel, Esso denies
>UK: September 5, 2002
>LONDON - A significant number of British motorists have stopped
>buying petrol from Esso stations and have switched to other
>retailers, following a campaign to associate the company with global
>warming, a survey said.
>
>But an Esso UK spokesman said the company's retail business had not
>been affected. "We have seen no discernible impact on our forecourt
>sales," he said.
>
>The Greenpeace-commissioned survey by polling agency MORI in July
>this this year showed 19 percent of UK petrol buyers regularly
>bought the motor fuel from Exxon Mobil subsidiary Esso, compared to
>26 percent in an August 2001 poll.
>
>Those buying from rival retailer BP rose to 21 percent from 18
>percent last year, the survey said...

The campaign has focused mostly on Exxon's role in promoting
climate-change spin and denial. The main front group has been the
American Petroleum Institute, with, of course, much funding to the
right-wing "think-tanks" (spin-tanks), some of the effectiveness of
which we get to see here, as in the last few days:

The American Petroleum Institute institute, spurred by Exxon, Chevron
and others, planned, in the wake of Kyoto, a two-year, US$6 million
campaign to undermine scientific warnings about climate change
("Industrial Group Plans to Battle Climate Treaty," New York Times,
26 April 1998). In July 2001, after attending The Hague climate
negotiations for the Global Climate Coalition, the institute's Philip
Clooney was appointed as Chief of Staff of the Council for
Environmental Quality of the executive branch of the US government

>http://www.heatisonline.org/contentserver/objecthandlers/index.cfm?ID
>=3055&method=full
>The Heat Is Online
>Latest Disinformation From The American Petroleum Institute
>On April 26, 1998, the New York Times reported on yet another $5
>million dollar campaign of deception and disinformation by the
>American Petroleum Institute, the Southern Company, Exxon and
>Chevron. The campaign, attacking the findings of the more than 2,000
>scientists comprising the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change,
>also involved Dr. S. Fred Singer, one of the most reckless of the
>"greenhouse skeptics," and Dr. Frederick Seitz, whose bogus study
>designed to resemble a document of the National Academy of Sciences,
>has publicly discredited him.
>
>Following is the New York Times story...

>"Even the most cynical would be shocked at the heavy-handed tactics
>of the US's bald display of their fossil-fuel backed politics in
>Geneva . . . The US has struck another blow . . . to undermine
>international institutions and international agreements," said Steve
>Sawyer, a Greenpeace International Climate Policy Advisor commenting
>on the election of a US-backed candidate to chair the International
>Panel on Climate Change after a well-respected scientist was ousted
>from that role in 2002. Greenpeace accused the US of acting on the
>direction of US oil giant ExxonMobil.
- "Tactical Victory for US and the Oil Industry: Greenpeace Calls on
Scientific Community to Rise Above Politics," Greenpeace press
release, April 22, 2002,
http://archive.greenpeace.org/pressreleases/climate/2002apr22.html

At the forefront of the campaign has been Greenpeace, and Exxon's
denials that they were getting hurt may have had a bit more
credibility had they not starting protesting rather too loudly in the
courts, seeking injunctions and getting them - but Greenpeace has
been winning, getting the injunctions overturned.

Here's a good place to start:

http://www.stopesso.com/
StopEsso

StopEsso Stop Bush
If Bush was acting on global warming, he wouldn't need to invade Iraq
for cheap oil. Esso, more than any other oil company is sabotaging
international action on global warming. One million people in the UK
don't buy Esso. Here's why.

Esso: fuelling war and global warming

Esso (ExxonMobil) is doing more than any other company to keep the
USA hooked on oil. For decades Esso has been opposing policies that
would reduce the USA's need for oil.

If US vehicles were as efficient as UK vehicles, nearly two and a
half million barrels of oil would be saved every day - equivalent to
90% of US oil imports from the Middle East.

Join the one million UK motorists who won't buy from Esso and you'll
be in good company.

WAR LINKS
Tiger in the Tanks - ExxonMobil, oil dependency and war in Iraq
Greenpeace on war
Friends of the Earth
The Wall St Journal
What do the analysts say?
Deutsche Bank
Media stories on oil and Iraq

Latest Campaign News

Kyoto march!

Join the Campaign Against Climate Change's Kyoto march and "end of
the world party", this Saturday 29 March. Starting at Leatherhead;
ends at US Embassy 5.30 pm.details

Exxon depot in Iraq?
The US 101st airborne division has named two of its depots in Iraq
after oil giants: Exxon and Shell. Exxon thinks it's "pretty neat".
more
Good news on a bad day
George W Bush has been defeated by his own Senate which rejected his
plans to drill for oil in the pristine Arctic wilderness. more
Blix on global warming
The US must be multilateral, says Blix, especially on global warming. more
The Unrepentant Oil Man
Unlike his rivals, Esso chief Lee Raymond thinks oil is unabiguously good.
Full story
Top Kyoto prank
Why was ExxonMobil head Lee Raymond invited to the White House to
mark second anniversary of Bush's rejection of Kyoto? more

BACKGROUND
        Why Esso?
        What Esso Says
        FAQ's
        Global Warming
        Kyoto Protocol
        Reports
 GET BUSY
        Tell Esso
        Downloads
        StopEsso Day
        Gallery
        Link To Us
 NEWSROOM
        Press Releases
        Articles
        Campaign News

>Off to brew another research litre of BD from WVO.

:-)

The other good place to start - negative action: don't buy that evil
stuff; positive action: brew your own!

Best

Keith

> [...]
> > American products and or business!!
>
>Specific aspects of the American economy are the target.  If it is somewhat
>vulnerable, then it is time to press our advantage.
>
> > Seems to me that you are trying to
> > shoot yourself in the foot, with all this boycott stuff. I really don't
> > care;I'm retired and do not relay on a job or the economy, but you
> > knotheads had better wake up!!! The people in charge are going to do what
> > ever it takes to line their pockets(oil) and you can't do a damn thing
> > about it, and not buying McDonalds(meat shipped in from another country)
> > and or K-mart(made in China) is not going to hurt anyone in those
> > countries, only the poor working slob here in america.......
>
>Agreed.  We will attempt to limit the collateral damage.
>
> > Good Luck I
> > do admire your basic idea.
>
>Thanks, we'll need it.
>

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> >   What about McDonalds/Budweiser/Texaco/Miller?
> >
>That's the spirit!
>
>McDonalds Canada seems a poor target.  As I understand it, most of
>the restaurants
>are operated by local business people as separate corporations, and
>employ mostly
>some of our most vulnerable working poor.  Shooting the foot, as Jerry put it.
>
>Budweiser in Canada is actually brewed by a Canadian brewer -
>Labatt's.  So, again,
>looks like a poor target.
>
>Texaco no longer exists in Canada.  It was bought out by our
>hulkingly ineffective
>national oil company, Petro-Canada.
>
>Miller, looks like Labatt's again, same for Coors.
>
>But I may have a candidate.  Imperial Oil, aka Esso.  70% owned by
>Exxon Mobil.
>Hmmm... do I recall that Exxon Mobil officials had a closed door session with
>PresBush before the Iraq invasion?  Isn't this military incursion
>focused on oil?
>Added bonus - Esso has about the worst environmental record for oil
>companies in
>Canada.  Still produces the highest sulphur gasoline in Ontario.  Tie to Exxon
>Valdez is just too easy, even for the gasoline-addicted crowd.
>
>So, should we target the tiger?  Would a U.S. version of the same
>boycott also be
>effective?  Is Exxon/Esso visible in the rest of the world?
>
>Do people believe that a 10% drop in retail sales would be noticed by the
>ExxonMobil accounting department?  Do people believe that this would
>get mentioned
>to Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld/Powell?
>
>More research required to establish the chain of connections to
>ensure this is an
>appropriate target.  Your assistance is invited.  Then onto tactics
>- I already
>have some ideas.  Nothing illegal, just targeting the bottom line.
>When is the
>busiest time at gas stations?
>
>Off to brew another research litre of BD from WVO.

FREE Cell Phones with up to $400 Cash Back!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_bBUKB/vYxFAA/i5gGAA/FGYolB/TM