Maud Essen wrote:

> A local university tagged it for disposal, not because it didn't work
> but because it was old (according to my friend who scavenged it for
> me *before* it was hurled into a dumpster).

I've seen a lot of that.

Fortunately, most of the schools around here usually auction off their
surplus equipment.  About the only exception is with equipment gotten as
grants.  There's some stupid rule that they can't sell the stuff, so
when it becomes obsolete it sits in a closet for a couple of decades
until someone can get clearance to dispose of it, at which point it
usually wind up in a dumpster.  When St. Petersburg (Junior) College got
rid of their DEC PDP-11/70 minicomputer I could have had it for the
price of hauling it away.  Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, I
didn't have a place to put it, so it went into the dumpster.  What
really sucks is that they didn't even recycle it.

AP

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511