Jay,

The "rest of the world" does not use asbestos products, they have for a
long time been prohibited in EU countries. They are also very many
restrictions to minimize exposures to lead.

It is many developing countries that do not have protection, because of
corruption, lack of frame work or capacity. Many less scrupulous
corporations are still dumping products in those countries aided and
abetted by their less scrupulous and corrupted governments. I do not regard
them as working with permission the "rest of the world" nor that the
victims know what is going on.

US is very active and we can only take the Bophal disaster as an example.
Where more innocent people was killed, than the latest Iraq occupation. US
is still protecting the corporate leaders from answering in court and help
the corporation to cap claims on damages. That is US foreign policy. Many
US jobs would not be exported, if US held their own corporations
accountable for only proper minimum safety standard, or good business ethics.

An innocent Iraqi life is worth maximum $2,500 in damages and it is plenty
of easy rules and excuses for paying nothing. How can it be that the
American public is surprised that it is some minor problems to "win the
hearts and minds". In a country that 80% of the population are women or
children under 15 years of age and not counting old age men. US cannot
establish law and order with 100,000 to 150,000 of troops and enormous fire
power, among around 4,000,000 able men. The you have US, who claim that the
opposition to the occupation is a small minority, but of course, children
and women have no say. LOL

You only have to look at the numbers and apply a little bit logic and the
propaganda machines are easily exposed. I have refrained from comments
after the Iraqi war, this because it is difficult for me to do, without
saying "what did I said". It is however never too late for US to start
adopting responsible foreign policies. It is many countries, who is
pillaging and utilizing the developing countries, but US stands out in this
crowd.

Hakan