Hakan wrote:

Jay,

The "rest of the world" does not use asbestos products, they have for a
long time been prohibited in EU countries. They are also very many
restrictions to minimize exposures to lead.

It is many developing countries that do not have protection, because of
corruption, lack of frame work or capacity. Many less scrupulous
corporations are still dumping products in those countries aided and
abetted by their less scrupulous and corrupted governments. I do not regard
them as working with permission the "rest of the world" nor that the
victims know what is going on.

US is very active and we can only take the Bophal disaster as an example.
Where more innocent people was killed, than the latest Iraq occupation. US
is still protecting the corporate leaders from answering in court and help
the corporation to cap claims on damages. That is US foreign policy. Many
US jobs would not be exported, if US held their own corporations
accountable for only proper minimum safety standard, or good business ethics.

An innocent Iraqi life is worth maximum $2,500 in damages and it is plenty
of easy rules and excuses for paying nothing. How can it be that the
American public is surprised that it is some minor problems to "win the
hearts and minds". In a country that 80% of the population are women or
children under 15 years of age and not counting old age men. US cannot
establish law and order with 100,000 to 150,000 of troops and enormous fire
power, among around 4,000,000 able men. The you have US, who claim that the
opposition to the occupation is a small minority, but of course, children
and women have no say. LOL

You only have to look at the numbers and apply a little bit logic and the
propaganda machines are easily exposed. I have refrained from comments
after the Iraqi war, this because it is difficult for me to do, without
saying "what did I said". It is however never too late for US to start
adopting responsible foreign policies. It is many countries, who is
pillaging and utilizing the developing countries, but US stands out in this
crowd.

Hakan

I think you have deviated substantially from the topic of asbestos and lead.
In an effort to drag the conversation back to this, I offer the following
report.

-- Jay

U.S. Geological Survey
Open-File Report 03-083
Version 1.0

Worldwide Asbestos Supply and Consumption Trends from 1900 to 2000

By Robert L. Virta

Abstract

The use of asbestos is one of the most controversial issues surrounding the
industrial minerals industry. Its carcinogenic nature, an overall lack of
knowledge of minimum safe exposure levels, its widespread use for more than 100
years, and the long latency for the development of lung cancer and mesothelioma
are the main contributing factors to these controversies. Another factor is
that, despite decades of research, the mechanisms responsible for its
carcinogenic properties are still largely unknown. The United States has
produced about
3.28 million metric tons of asbestos fiber and used approximately 31.5 million
tons between 1900 and 2000. About half of this amount was used since 1960.
Cumulative world production during that same time period was about 173 million
tons. Assuming that unusually large stocks are not maintained and that world
consumption roughly equals production, about half of the world production and
consumption occurred since 1976. The United States and western European nations
were the largest consumers of asbestos during the first two-thirds of the 20th
century. They were surpassed by the collective production and consumption of
States within the former Soviet Union by the 1970s. With the onset of the
health issues concerning asbestos in the late 1960s and early 1970s, world
production and consumption began to decline during the 1980s. In 2000, world
consumption, estimated to be 1.48 million tons, was only 31% that of 1980.
Countries in
Asia, South America, and the former Soviet Union remain the largest users of
asbestos. More specifically, Brazil, China, India, Japan, Russia, and Thailand
are the only countries that consumed more than 60,000 tons of asbestos in
2000. These six countries accounted for more than 80% of world�fs apparent
consumption in 2000.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511