In a message dated 2/22/04 1:42:43 PM Pacific Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> Try Libby Montana
> http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/asbestos/asbestos_study.html
>

> A mortality review
> <http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/asbestos/mortality_in_libby.html>, which
> compared death rates for residents of the Libby area with those in
> Montana and the United States for selected diseases associated with
> exposure to asbestos (1979–1998). The review found that for the 20-year
> period examined, mortality from asbestosis was approximately 40 times
> higher than the rest of Montana and 60 times higher than the rest of the
> United States.
>

> --
> Bob

No. In any -- repeat ANY -- of the studies on lung diseases where asbestos is
being implicated, smoking confounds the data to the point that the results
are virtually meaningless.  The ship insulators who died of asbestosis?  They
ALL smoked.  The only disease positively linked to asbestos is mesotheleomia
and
I've not found any data on mortality due to this for about five years or
more.  But in all candor, this all misses the point.  Asbestos is a marvelous
material.  If the hazards associated with its use are recognized and dealt
with,
there is no reason not to use it.  Transite is a concrete and chrysotile blend
that has great insulating and strength properties.  It is in a matrix where
the fibers cannot escape unless someone deliberately grinds away at the
surface.
 Brake linings of asbestos worked better than the organic linings currently
used, etc. For heaven sakes, use common sense.  Even water can be deadly.  How
many drownings, electrocutions in water or chokings due to water occur each
year?  Is there to be a movement to ban water too?

Here we are, in a group trying to make biofuels a reality and we are hung up
on idiotic issues brought to us by lawyers and politicians?  Hogwash.  How can
anyone rant about bureaucratic obstacles to alternative fuels on the one hand
and quote "statistics" from the same bureaucrats on the other?  Here's one
for you:  The government keeps repeating that "second-hand smoke is the
third-leading cause of death due to lung cancer."  Uh-huh.  They haven't lied.
Except
that they misled.  See, the SECOND leading cause is exposure to Radon gas.
The way the data is expressed makes the average listener assume the steps
between first, second, third are even.  They aren't.  See the attached chart.
It is
in MSWord.

-- Jay

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511