Walt Patrick wrote:

>       About 140 years ago, a group of federalists took over the government
> and
> waged a war of conquest which destroyed more than a million lives thereby
> establishing the principal of rule by conquest as the foundation for the
> federal government. If they could kill hundreds of thousands of Southrons,
> and they did, then it's not much of a stretch for them to continue on that
> path killing anyone else who gets in their way.

I believe you mis-spelled "Southerners".  Or perhaps "Confederates".

And don't forget that the South fired the first shot.  Some Southerners
had been preaching war for years, and very many were happy when it came.

But you've reduced The Civil War (The War Between The States) to blue
and grey, and it wasn't that simple then either.  There were Union
militias formed in the deep south, and union sympathizers into the
deepest of the deep south.  Likewise there were Confederate militias
formed north of the Mason-Dixon line that made life interesting in the
North.  And there were also Confederate sympathizers all over the north.

The Confederate states themselves were a fractious lot that had more
differences than commonalities.  Particularly in the last year of the
war, their leaders spent nearly as much time fighting among themselves
as they did fighting the Union.

Your comment about the military-industrial complex rings hollow, because
after 1865 the military-industrial complex practically ceased to exist.
  The United States didn't keep a large standing army, so it didn't need
a large industry to supply a large standing army.

And yet, to this day, The Civil War was our most damaging war to date.
Largely because of the use of Napoleanic tactics in early industrial
warfare there were huge numbers of casualties.  Because of this The
Civil War produced more American deaths than all of our other wars
combined.

For all of those who are making comments like "Demicans and
Republicrats" the only thing I have to say is that getting The Shrub out
of the White House is the first step.  The thought of that
hyper-religious madman getting re-elected scares me.  I don't like being
scared of my politicians.  You've obviously been staying away from the
polls in droves, because the only candidate that showed a glimmer of
being something different, Howard Dean, just quit because he couldn't
get enough support.  That leaves us with John Kerry, the Republican part
of the Democratic party, and John Edwards, who isn't any better.  At
this point any of the "alternative" party candidates are merely
spoilers, and votes for any of them are effectively votes for Bush.

I say again, get Bush out of the White House first.  Worry about making
major changes to the federal government later.

And while you're at it, don't forget all of the congressional elections,
state and local elections, and other issues that will be on your ballots
this year.

AP

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511