At 08:07 AM 3/2/04 -0500, Alan wrote:
 >Walt Patrick wrote:
 >>  >I think you're falling into your own trap of seeing things according
 >>  >to a partisan agenda, but in a different, much broader, and much more
 >>  >important sense, that goes much further than the national concerns of
 >>  >some among the minority American contingent here. "Us" and "them",
 >>  >and you're not considering "them", but "them" is the majority here,
 >>  >non-Americans of every ilk. You think your election only concerns
 >>  >Americans?
 >>
 >>     It's not my election. I'm not a citizen.
 >
 >For someone who claims to not be a citizen you sure do know a lot about
 >US Civil War history.

        There are many people of a historical bent who see that conflict as one
of
the great changing points in history. I find it especially fascinating
since having a Southern father and an Northern mother, I have a reasonable
chance of understanding the weltgeist of the key actors.

        One of the working definitions of the concept of "home" is that place
where you understand the SOBs and why they are the way they are.

 >Oh, that's right, you're an "expat".  But, keep in mind, most expats
 >retain the citizenship to wherever they originate from.  So I guess
 >that'd make you a "former American".  Keep in mind also that as far as
 >the US Department Of State is concerned you're an American for life
 >unless you publicly and in writing renounce your US citizenship, and
 >send the appropriate paperwork to the appropriate places.

        I'm quite aware of the proprietary dimension that comes with a US birth
certificate. Many have noted that the Civil War didn't end slavery, it just
leveled the playing field. Indeed, there are many of us who see the
upcoming election as little more than a chance for the field hands to elect
the next overseer. One holds the whip in his right hand, the other in his
left, but it's hard to see that as a material difference.

 >You seem to be one of those expats who is both proud to be and American
 >and at the same time anti-american with the zeal of a convert.

        I'm not proud to be an American. I had no say and take no credit for
where
my mother chose to give birth. I do respect and feel a sense of
indebtedness for the opportunities which came with that accident of birth.

        I believe that there's nothing more radical than a working model of a
better way; what I am proud of is the work I've done to help create working
models of viable solutions.

        I'm also not anti-American. This country has done many good things, as
well as many things that weren't. There was a party during The War when a
woman asked Lincoln if he didn't agree that God was on their side. Lincoln
reported replied something along the lines of, "Madam, the question is more
one of whether in this conflict, are we on God's side?"

        One of the ironies of life is that something good things get done for
bad
reasons, just as bad things can come with the best of intentions. At this
point in time, America has a profound impact on the present, a weight that
will shift as China and India come into the modern age. It's a constantly
shifting pattern in which the only thing certain is that change will come.

 >You also seem to have a lot of deeply held anger.  Good luck dealing
 >with it.

        I do my best, but it's not a matter of anger but rather one of fear
since
when patterns repeat themselves, it's a warning. For example, the
dismissive treatment and personal attacks we're currently seeing directed
at Bush are very similar to the way that the Democrats dismissed Lincoln as
a rube and mocked him as "the great ape."  It was a grievous error then; I
fear that it is a grievous error now.

 >Have a nice life.

        Thanks. I am.

Walt