Go Hoff wrote:

> I remember buying an USA made hammer in the 70*s it was hung with
> labels and
> stuff saying to wear protective glasses, gloves, overalls etc and to
> keep
> children and pets away, not to leave it unattended and to hide it or
> lock it
> up from potential thieves - failure to do any of that stuff would void
> it's
> warranty - it was a hammer for goodness sakes - are you Americans
> nuts?

    Some of us are. . .  A lot of us are careful.  The warning labels
exist for those who are not, in order to ensure that liability in our
litigatious (is that a word???) society falls where it really belongs!

> Anyway, I would really like to know if anyone has died by handling -
> not
> drinking because that is deathly - methanol, and if so if the poison
> intrudes through the skin or the airways.

    Prolonged contact with skin, any contact with mucous membranes and
the inhalation of vapors are where the toxicology problems with methanol
exist.  Open biodiesel processors represent a serious potential hazard
because of the potential exposure to vapors.  (I abandoned methanol as a
working fluid in an Organic Rankine project of mine for this reason.)
There's a lot of excellent info from experienced people in the archives
about how to minimize or eliminate exposure risk.

    Methanol IS nasty, and some of its effects are permanent.  Caution
and respect is a good thing.  However, fire is also nasty and can kill.
Following safety procedures will protect you from the nasty effects
while enabling you to enjoy the benefits of this very useful chemical.

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
Adventure for Your Mind
http://www.1stbooks.com/bookview/9782