Peter,

In my reply to Stan I said: "Another common way for an engine to overspeed
using it's crankcase oil is
via seals in the turbo or blower."
Common is the wrong word.  It is in fact very uncommon.

Also, your point about getting well clear of an engine in a run-away condition
is
good too.

I think we'll all be interested to read what Fred discovers.

"Richmond, Peter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Dave,

I disagree with Turbo seals causing an engine to run on its own oil. Turbo
seals are not a total seal to begin with and pressure at the seal is next to
nil as the return pipe to the engine is so large any oil pressure is lost at
the bearing. Oil blockage is the only possibility that would cause oil to be
forced past those seals.

The most likely cause of engine runaway is blow by past the pistons or major
crankcase fuming being directed back into the intake.

Use good oil and regular oil changes from the beginning to prevent oil
galleries from getting blocked.

And never try to interrupt the air to the engine in a run away situation.
Stall it or dive for cover before it detonates.

PeterR