Biofuel Readers,  Here are additional statistics to
support a hypothesis that U.S C-Store Gas Stations are
a potential entry point for biofuels/clean fuels of
all types.  I would like to do similar research in
other countries.

Thanks for your time - Phillip Wolfe

Business Influence
As of 2001, 124,500 locations. The industry had record
sales in 2001, topping $283 billion, with profits
before taxes of $3.5 billion.
A typical convenience store posted $2.7 million in
sales in 2001. On average, sales were:
1.      $1.8 million per store in motor fuels sales!
2.      $813,000 in merchandise sales ($917,000 if the
store offered foodservice)
Top 10 product categories (in terms of consumer sales
and exclusive of gasoline):
1.      Cigarettes (yuk)
2.      Packaged Beverages (non-alcohol)
3.      Foodservice
4.      Beer
5.      General Merchandise
6.      Candy
7.      Fluid Milk Products
8.      Other Tobacco
9.      Salty Snacks
10.     Publications

(We need to put biofuels on this list!)

Neighborhood anchor
A convenience store is an anchor business to the
neighborhoods of America. On average, a convenience
store will generate more than $2.7 million in annual
grocery, foodservice, gasoline, and merchandise sales.
On average, a convenience store will provide 10 or
more employment opportunities for local citizens.
Neighborhood convenience stores also provide monetary
and in-kind support to charities, youth and other
community activities.
•       The convenience store industry employs nearly 1.4
million individuals.
•       The industry spent $18.1 billion in labor costs in
2001.
America's fueling station
Convenience stores sell nearly 80 percent of the
gasoline used to fuel America's cars and lightweight
trucks - more than 100 billion gallons overall in
2001.
•       Four out of five convenience stores sell gasoline,
with the average store selling 1.3 million gallons a
year.
•       The importance of the convenience store and gasoline
combination for consumers has grown to the point where
19 out of every 20 new convenience stores (94 percent)
offer gasoline fueling services.
•       Pay-at-the-pump dispensers were available at 76
percent of all stores, more than double the percentage
in 1997 (37 percent). Only 17 percent of stores
offered this convenience in 1995.
Contributor to local, state and federal revenues
Every level of government in the United States - city,
county, state, and federal - relies on the revenues
generated through product sales at convenience stores.
Through excise and other taxes on fuel, tobacco
products, alcohol products, and packaging, convenience
stores collect hundreds of millions of dollars worth
of taxes that are, in turn, distributed to government
at all levels.
•       Convenience stores are located in every
congressional district.
Local business partners
Through partnerships with banks, dry cleaners, utility
payment centers, foodservice operations, and others,
convenience stores bring new services and new
businesses to local communities. These strategic
alliances give consumers more choices and communities
more revenue and employment opportunities. The
convenience store has become the gas station,
quick-service restaurant, bank, and water cooler of a
mobile, time-hungry society.
•       Eighty percent of all convenience stores sell motor
fuels.
•       Nearly one-quarter (24.7 percent) of all convenience
stores offer fresh food prepared on site.
•       More convenience stores are adding car washes to
their operations - 7.3 percent of all stores had car
wash services in 2001.
Community booster
Convenience stores support countless national and
local charities and community programs, such as
sponsoring Little League teams, contributing to annual
charity drives, and helping their customers and
employees organize events for the community that they
serve.
•       The typical shopping radius for convenience stores
is 2-4 miles. It's also likely that the store's owners
and employees live within this same radius and are
part of the community that the store serves.
•       Most convenience stores in the U.S. are small
businesses that serve the communities in which they
are located. In fact, more than half of the
convenience stores in the U.S. (54.3 percent) are
owned and operated as one-store companies.
The office on the road
Business travelers, sales professionals, technicians,
and other workers routinely on the road are
increasingly relying on convenience stores for
products and services beyond their morning paper,
coffee and fill-up. Through convenience stores, they
can connect to associates through phone, fax, and
Internet services and gain access to business supplies
and services.
•       Copy and fax machine offerings for customers are in
nearly one out of three stores (32 percent).
•       ATM services are offered in three out of four of
convenience stores (77 percent). In 1993 ATMs were
available in only 15 percent of stores.
•       Money order services are offered in 79 percent of
stores.

Reference:
National Association
of C-Stores