Hi,

now I'm trying to wash my biodiesel. I'll mention the steps, because I think I
did something wrong :)
Ok, the pH of the unwashed biodiesel was 12,12. I took 99ml of water and I
added 1ml of 96% pure H2SO4. I added this to the biodiesel + another 77ml of
water. That makes 177ml of added water, which is 1/3 of the amount of
biodiesel.

After adding that, I got white "flakes" at the bottom and (hopefully)
biodiesel on top. After taking away the bottom layer, I added again 177ml of
water (without acid) and the result can be found on:

http://users.pandora.be/thunderbirdIII/bio/wash2_na20min.jpg

That's the result after setteling for 20 min. Now I'm getting a little bit
worried. Why do I have again those white flakes above the water layer? Is
this soap? If so, why do I have it again during the 2nd wash? As far as I
know, does this means that there's still Na-methylate left which reacts with
the water.
Does everybody gets this, or do I have to add more water during my 1st wash?

Another thing: I took the pH of those white flakes from my 1st wash and that
seems to be 1,03. It seems that my 1st washing water was too acid, but should
this affect the washing? AFAIK the extra H+ and (SO4)2- will be drained of
with the washing water. Am I correct?

Thanks for answering my lot of questions :-)

Kind regards,

Gregory