Op maandag 24 januari 2005 15:09, schreef Keith Addison:
> I wonder where you're getting your information on making biodiesel
> from Gregory?

Well, a little bit from everywhere. The one article sais do it like this, the
other one like that,... For the one you need titration, for the other you
don't. The one method demands washing with acid, the other don't,... I'm
trying to find my way through the lot of (inconsistent) information.

> You said this:
> > Ok, the pH of the unwashed biodiesel was 12,12.

Indeed, after adding the methanol mixed with NaOH.

> This is with virgin rapeseed oil? pH 12 is too high. In your previous
>
> message you said:
> >now I used the correct amount of NaOH and my 2nd batch seems to be
> >much better :-)
>
> Why not tell us the whole story?
>
> How much lye did you use?

1.7g

> Was it 99%+ NaOH that had been kept airtight?

98%, and indeed airtight

> How much methanol did you use?

100ml (I used only 500ml of oil)

> How did you mix the methanol and the lye?

with a magnetic stirrer

> What temperature did you process the oil at?

53¡C

> How did you agitate it?
>
> For how long did you mix it?

5 minutes at max speed of the magnet stirrer

> Regarding the pH of the unwashed biodiesel, "12,12", how did you measure
> it?

With a pH meter :D

> And where did you get this idea from:
> > I took 99ml of water and I
> > added 1ml of 96% pure H2SO4. I added this to the biodiesel + another 77ml
> > of water. That makes 177ml of added water, which is 1/3 of the amount of
> > biodiesel.

Ah, from the foolsproof method. They mention: use 10% of H3PO4. So 1ml of
H2SO4 in 100ml is also a 10% solution. Ok, with the extra 77ml it's even
less.

But ok, it seems to be a stupid idea to add acid to your wash water, so I
won't do it anymore :-)

Regards,

Greg