Camillo, you make a very vaid point about toxic emissions. imagine
the problems we'd have if biodesel became confused with raw vegetable
oils. You'll no boubt be aware of the press coverage that Volvo got
for their "tests" on biodiesel emissions.

They used flawed and inappropriate methods, but as usual it's one
rule for established systems and other much harder to meet rules for
new products. Much damage was done even though they have been forced
to publish a retraction.

On fuel quality we have to be "whiter than white" and be seen to be
so.

Dave

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Camillo Holecek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> I hope you are aware of the difference, are you?
>
> Yes, one can run a diesel engine on straight vegetable oil. The
question
> maybe, how long a modern engine, dedicated to the use of fossil
diesel, will
> stand it.
>
> Yes, you can succesfully mix fossil diesel with a high percentage of
> vegetable oil and results will improve. May work well up to a 50:50
mix.
> But that is not termed "biodiesel" anywhere in the world. You
better tell
> them!
>
> The real problem is, that burning a triglycerid in a combustion
engine has
> it's own problems. A piston engine always leaves part of the
combustible
> burned incompletly. The presence of glycerol in that may lead to the
> production of traces of very toxic substances!!! And there are no
proper, in
> depth studies up to this date! That is, why, for example, our
company had
> decided to dedicate only to transesteryfied fuels (the real
biodiesel)
> instead of thinkering with raw vegetable oils in engines.
>
> As you know, transesterification means that the glycerol from the
natural
> oil is replaced by a smaller, single chain alcohol like methanol or
ethanol.
> They burn better and without that complication.
>
> And, yes, we offer technology for processing palmoil into
biodiesel. See
> also www.energea.at
>
> Camillo Holecek
> Biodiesel Raffinerie GmbH, Austria