Greenpeace and Friends of the Earth are a problem. They often don't
do their homework properly and like to have something dramatic to say.
UK FOE has trotted out similar rubbish in the UK press, but try
contacting the people responsible - you'll never get a reply.

Many of their members simply don't like internal combustion or modern
technology and would have us go back to subsistence living. They
conveniently forget that world famine would be even worse without
modern technology however imperfectly it's distributed. They also
drive petrol cars and live in energy guzzling houses, but they use
unleaded and have fitted draught excluders so that's OK.

I believe they were a large part of why UK only got a 20p excise tax
reduction rather than 30p which would have allowed farmers to
grow "industrial" oilseeds. The treasury only needed one excuse to
minimise the tax cut. Rape seed pollen was just the ticket. The fact
that there are many other oil crops we could use and that most people
suffer more from grass pollen was conveniently ignored.

Biofuels at Journey to Forever
Biofuel at WebConX
http://www.webconx.com/2000/biofuel/biofuel.htm