Alecs' comment is interesting, but I got less smoke on base/base
ester. I also got considerably more byproduct using less methanol
(15% instead of 20+%). I do not think there was much unreacted oil in
either product.

For the record, I get less mpg than from 100% petroleum ultra low
sulphur diesel - it's down by 3 to 5% on bases base reacted and 10%
on my acid reacted ester.

My "tests" were most unscientific, and the comments are mine alone.
I found the acid/base ester was more smokey and less calorific than
the base/base ester. The acid ester was also much darker than the
base ester made from similar quality used oils.

Alecs has already said that darker ester can mean more glycerides.
But, if that means more energy, how does it square with the observed
power outputs?

At constant moderate speed, the base methyl ester can be slightly
better than petroleum. When the power is used, it is definitely
worse. I think the reason is that the oxygen content improves
combustion so at low power you do better. At higher power the simple
maths of energy in - power out come to play. Blends with petroleum
bear that out. A B20 has been proven to give 1% to 2% better mpg than
100% petroleum (can't remember the research body, but it might have
been TEAGASC of Eire).

We do need some proper research using properly tested esters made by
both processes. Quite possibly my results were just an aberration. It
was not scientifically made or tested, but the results were
consistent enough to raise the question.

In the mean time a commercial producer would be wise to keep high FFA
feedstock away from the better quality feedstock. Then the esters can
be separated and priced accordingly. Truck operators will notice
immediately if their mileage is down.

One upset and they won't be back. :(

Dave

Dave