Hi Keith,

Alecs does qualify that in his recipe's. He means that the process
reaches an equilbrium before all of the oil is converted. In theory
you can never get to 100% conversion to ester etc. He also hates to
not convert the FFA to ester. While I agree it's wasteful to dump the
FFA, I'm not convinced FFA can make DIN 51606 standard ester. Clean
FFA can be used in blends for low speed site plant or heavy oil
generator engines.

That said, Energea use an acid pre-reaction for >8% FFA feedstock and
they deliver DIN standard fuel, so it can be done. I'd like to
compare calorific values (per litre) of ester from high FFA feedstock
and new oil.

A single stage (base) reaction with new oil might make biodiesel
which is less than 2.5% oil, but 10% unreacted oil is more likely
especially with RVO. Reacting in 2 stages gives a good chance that
the ester is more or less fully converted. You react with 2/3 of your
methoxide and allow it to settle. Then draw off the byproducts and
react again with the remaining methoxide. This polishes the ester.
Shorthand is base/base process.

I think Energea plants do three reactions to make absolutely sure
they are within the standard. Unused methanol is recovered so there's
no waste.

When I followed Aleks Kak's "Foolproof Process" my waste oil was not
as overcooked as he uses so I needed to do two base reactions. It was
really an acid/base/base.

Incidentally, our Ace Biodieseler friend from Manchester has managed
to reuse the stage 2 byproduct as part of another batch, indicating
that his first stage came fairly close to full conversion. [Camillo
I'm not suggesting that's OK for commercial operators :) ]
What a shame he's not got a personal Gas Chromatograph. He could move
small scale techniques forward no-end.

Regards,
Dave

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Dave

You mentioned biodiesel you made with "the normal base/base process",
which, according to your results with it, Aleks says is sloppy
biodiesel. I don't know what the normal base/base process might be.
Which process did you use exactly?

> Best
>
> Keith Addison
>
> >Camillo,
> >That news about poor quality German biodiesel and VW is depressing
> >indeed. It's exactly what UK doesn't need. We want to be in
> >production as soon as possible after next April, but if even VW
have
> >doubts we'll have even less chance of finding business investors.
> >
> >Can we not persuade VW to warrant it's cars for DIN 51606 fuel and
> >nothing less? They are well placed to publicise the quailty issue
and
> >to promote decent biofuel. Can recognised German and Austrian
> >biodesel professionals not visit them to discuss.
> >
> >My point about separating potentially lower quality esters was just
> >to avoid this issue. Sub DIN 51606 ester has a market, but not at
the
> >pumps and it should never be corroding/clogging engines.
> >
> >I agree that to confirm or deny my experiences with various "home
> >brews" you would need to run controlled tests and use a properly
> >equipped laboratory. I'd hoped to convey that point.
> >
> >I am still concerned though. If the different esterification
process
> >really do produce different calorific values we have a commercial
> >problem. My crude "tests" indicates this might be so. Does anybody
> >know of any studies which bear out my experience?
> >
> >Dave
> >
> >--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Camillo Holecek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >wrote:
> > > May I add my two cents, too?
> > >
> > > Here we reach the limit of what could be done without proper
> >analysis of our
> > > products = homemade biodiesel. To clarify such subtleties like
the
> > > difference on what you call base/base and acid/base, you can
not do
> >without
> > > giving that stuff to a laboratory who is equiped and certified
> >do DIN
> > > standard testing. Yes, that may be something like 100U$ per
sample.
> >No,
> > > there is no other way, unless you call a gas chromatography kit
and
> >all the
> > > other testing equipment you own ;-)
> > >
> > > Only then can you KNOW if you have mono/di/triglycerides left in
> >your brew,
> > > or potasium, or soap, or acid (!) or phosphor, or whatever.
What do
> >you
> > > think, why the DIN standard consists of more then 30 different
> >chemical and
> > > physical parameters?
> > >
> > > Quality is CRUCIAL in our industry. Some clever, self appointed,
> >german
> > > biodiesel makers have managed to ruin the reputation of BD so
much,
> >that it
> > > appeares possible that even VW will bring out it's 2002 models
> >WITHOUT BD
> > > approval in protest of the widespread poor quality biodiesel
found
> >at german
> > > pumping stations (poor means of course also way below DIN 51606
> >quality
> > > standards).
> > >
> > > Camillo Holecek

Is it
> >explain

> > > I forwarded this to Aleks. Here's his response.
> > >
> > > "Biodiesel has a lower calorific value per litre than triglics
mixes
> > > (oil/fat). If he does make more mpg on base bio, this means
that he
> > > is driving on something else than methyl esters. I presume that
this
> > > would be a mix of methyl/mono-/di-/(possible tri-) glcerids.
That's
> > > called sloppy biodiesel. True, it packs more carbon into the
> > > cylinders, but it also emits acroleins. I'm (almost) ashamed to
> >say :
> > > I use it (offroad). It
> > > really packs more power because it has a higher density. On the
> >other
> > > hand, I can
> > > see my exhaust fumes and this isn't quite good.
> > >
> > > "Re titration - determinig exact reaction time is a pain
because ffa
> > > levels vary wildly. I established two categories:
> > > 1. up to heavily used liquid fat and medium used solid fat :
1.75