Hello Harry

This is most informative, thankyou.

>Some recent discussion on water injection focused on the cooling
>effect of the water and or ethanol. That is important as it would
>increase the effective turbo boost and increase the power output. If
>the boost effect is substantial though the increase in cylinder
>pressures must be a concern. Can the bottom end of the motor take it?
>Similar problem to after market fitting of turbos.

That's a good point. Could it be calculated or would it require
long-term testing?

>Water CAN be blended with diesel!!  A bus company in NSW (AUS) is
>trialing a 10% water emulsion using an emulsifying agent imported
>from the US. The stable emulsion looks like milk. The mix has a
>detergent effect, requiring precleaning of the fuel system to prevent
>filter blockage. In addition a coarser fuel filter is fitted.

Would this be superior to an injection system, as was suggested? No
additives, no emulsion. Diesels should be tough enough to take it,
anyway.

>Apparently the water droplets are surrounded by diesel creating an
>effectively large particle size. The reported effects on pollution
>are similar to those recorded for diodiesel. In Bundaberg QLD a plant
>produces diesahol- a blend of ethanol with diesel. I have mixed
>absolute ethanol (and methanol) with biodiesel 50:50, the solution
>has been stable for 8 months now-no separation and no apparent
>freezing in response to sub zero nights.
>Low sulphur diesel has low lubricity and requires addition of a
>lubricant. I expect that either the water blend or the diesahol would
>be worse. It makes sense that the lubricant be biodiesel as it would
>also improve some of the fuel properties. I have no figures on the
>effect of either the water or Ethanol on Cetane but I would expect it
>to be lowered, both are reported to improve milage and power.
>Ethanol, bio and diesel blend quite well; to blend the water seems to
>require a "detergent" or emulsifier and since Fatty Acid Alcohols are
>the biodegradable detergents from the Eighties it follows that the
>biodiesel plant could provide them as well. I will look at the
>chemistry.
>Finding the best proportions of the four ingredients would require
>some factorial experimentation and may come down to cost
>effectiveness.
>It seems that this blend may be the most practical application of the
>current technology.

Please do look into the chemistry. However, with ethanol, bio,
diesel, and water, there doesn't seem to be a problem if you drop the
petro-diesel component. As Camillo recently pointed out, biod will
have a minimum content of 1,200 ppm water anyway. It also accepts the
water content of 10% of 95% ethanol quite happily, and remains stable
(and clear, not milky). This also decreases the CP somewhat. Of
course that means you don't need absolute alcohol, just use what the
still produces, no need for molecular sieves or whatever. Higher
contents of ethanol and of water I don't know about. I'm very
interested to know something of the combustion and emissions of such
blends. There are indications that emissions might be considerably
cleaner. Do you know of this study? It doesn't include biodiesel,
which is really a pity, but it's interesting nonetheless:
http://www.nf-2000.org/secure/Fair/F484.htm

You might also be interested in this:

Barton, A. F. M., and Tjandra, J. (1989). Eucalyptus Oil as a Cosolvent in
Water - Ethanol - Gasoline Mixtures. Fuel, 68, 11-17. (Refereed)

Barton, A. F. M., Ammon, D. G., and Clarke, D. A. (1986). Eucalyptus Oil as a
Component of Petrol-Ethanol Fuel Blends. Search, 17, 92-95.

Please let me know if you discover anything of interest with this.

>For those interested in the blending process itself, consider
>homogenisation. Forcing a mixture through a slot at 3000 PSI onto
>an "anvil" apparently breaks up the particles in a way that prevents
>the components from separating hence creating a stable emulsion. The
>same may apply to the high freezing point Esters that have the
>potential to clog filters in cold weather, the crystals are very long
>and fibrous, just begging to be broken up by homogenisation. An
>alternative to removing them by winterisation.

And with less waste. Interesting. Another way is to produce alkyl
esters via enzyme catalysis, much lower CPs.

Thanks again

Best wishes

Keith

>Regards from Harry.