Lee,

Fossil fuel cracking, generally combined with fractional
distillation, is most often conducted under high temp and
pressure, under rigid conditions that can be manipulated to
derive the desired ratio of any given products. One of the tricks
is to balance the energy/economic inputs with the product outputs
so as the process is the most efficient, either from the
perspective of inputs or outputs depending upon the need. If a
person were less worried about economic efficiency and wanted or
needed to focus strictly on maximizing one product or another,
the inputs can be altered towards that side of an equation.

Still, there would be co-products. Either markets already exist
for whatever these co-products are or would have to be created in
order to keep them from becoming part of the waste stream. (Much
like coal tar used to be a part of the waste stream. Now it is
the primary constituent of the asphalt industy. "Inert," they
proclaim it to be. So "inert" that the aromatic hydrocarbons
slowly evaporate and run off and it has to be resurfaced or
"recycled" on a regular basis. But that's another story. )

And yupper. The waste products probably could be used for process
heat,depending upon their emissions which may or may not be
regulated.

As for actually conducting the process? or plans for a reactor?
You or anyone would be almost entirely dependant upon the
expertise of a chemical engineer who can scratch out the
parameters and mechanics for creating the end product you wish.

That's why I suggested and we're experimenting with simple
processes such as hydrogenation and HTP esterification - single
end-product reactions. These can be conducted in a small system
with relative ease and safety without requiring too much
technical input, using the same vessel for either process.

Mind you that this is not to suggest that a hydrogenation
reaction should be conducted in a zero lot line subdivision in
one's garage, as sooner or later some yeah hoo would attempt to
use direct flame heat in a system and blow the garage apart with
a hydrogen explosion.
!!!!!! _______B-O-O-M____________ !!!!!!!

In any event, these processes only improve total ester yields and
increase the energy content (hydrogenation breaks double bonds).
You would still be left with a fuel that has a higher gel point
than D-1 or D-2, running about 13.77 carbons. Rapeseed methyl
ester has an average carbon chain length of ~19.96 while soybean
methyl ester averages ~16.16.

It would be interesting to get viscosity stats of these and other
methyl esters, including those derived strictly from isolated
fatty acids, for comparison of cloud points.

The following are the chemical formulas of the primary fatty
acids that are constituents of parent oils.

Butyric - C4H8O2
Caproic - C6H12O2
Capric - C10H20O2
Lauric - C12H24O2