Lee,

While I agree entirely with Todd, I can see that you
are just busting to give it a go.

There are several forms of cracking processes and
subsequent re-forming carried out in your "friendly
neighbourhood oil refinery". But historically, they
all grew from thermal cracking and the very wide range
of products it produces. This thermal cracking and
primary separation was carried out in a device called
a pipe-still. I'm sure that text-books and professors
in your local University or technical College could
give you access to diagrams and pictures. Have a look
in your local technology museum. About 1920 ish

So, if you really want to give it a whirl, get
yourself a piece of 6" dia pipe with 1/2 ins thick
walls and weld a flat bottom onto one end of it. Use a
piece of steel with a thickness of at least 1/4 ins
and make sure that the weld is a good one. (Your life
may depend on it!)

Cut an internal thread at the other end of your pipe
section so you can screw in a reducer to bring the
diameter down to about 2". You will probably need
about 12 feet of 2" pipe to screw into the end of this
unit and with several 1" diameter branches, each of
which runs to a condenser. (This can be as simple as a
rag which is kept wet all the time draped over the
outside of these side pipes). Mount the whole thing
vertically and insulate everything but the pot at the
bottom. Mineral wool is probably best but fibre-glass
will do. Cover the insulation with aluminium foil if
there is any chance that the rain or your condenser
water could wet the insulation.

Now put your oil in the pot at the bottom before you
screw it to the 2 ins dia pipe-still supported above
it.

The pot will have to be heated to at least 200C before
the oil starts cracking and the separate fractions
start to appear at the side pipes. A charcoal fire
should do the job. But a gas burner will work as well
or even better: It has the advantage that if your weld
leaks, the hot oil will not drain into the fire!  :-(

You will have difficulty in getting enough oil into a
short length of the 6 ins pipe so I have not specified
the length. You can decide that when you design the
burner to do the job. A series of gas burners working
over a large pot may be the answer here. (Visit that
"friendly neighbourhood oil-refinery" and see how they
do it)

One of the first improvements that was made in the
pipe-still was the provision of a continuous feed of
oil to the pot. The second was the recycling of the
gases that came out of the top of the pipe so that
they provided fuel for the furnace.

Early problems were with the side branches coking up
with tarry residues for which there was no commercial
application. Someone had the bright idea of using the
gunk that was left in the pot as a tar-seal for dusty
roads! And so tar-macadam was born: an engineered
system of road-building and sealing that made possible
the modern, high-speed motor vehicle.

If this all sounds like re-inventing the wheel, well
it is! You will certainly need to carry out a lot of
experimentation before you can rival the overall
efficiency of that "friendly neighbourhood oil
refinery." And you will doubtless have the
environmentalists howling at your door asking
questions about black smoke, tar, dioxin production
and polyaromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) content. Better
get yourself a good lawyer! Especially if you are
going to try this without a good chemical engineer on
hand.

Do let me know how you get on.

Good luck

Michael Allen