>Kristen,
>
>What is the cost? How do we order?
>
>Craig

Expensive, and of dubious value, to homebrewers at least. Previous
message from Kristen Stremlau to me:

>Subject: Enzymatic Analysis for Glycerin Determination in Biodiesel Products
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>From: "Kristen Stremlau" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 14:27:09 -0600
>
>I am pleased to introduce a new Sigma-Aldrich kit for
>detection of free and total glycerin in biodiesel samples
>called the BQP-02 Kit.
>
>This new kit will be available for purchase on March 1,
>2003.
>
>This enzymatic analysis has several advantages over the GC
>method listed in the attached flyer.  This kit has a limit
>of detection at 5 ppm (free glycerin) and 75 ppm (total
>glycerin).  Total glycerin recovery is 97.6-100.3%, based on
>spiked recovery studies.
>
>Each kit is single-use with list price of $100.00 USD.  Of
>course, volume discounts are available with purchases of 20
>or more kits.
>
>If you have any questions about this new product, please
>contact me.
>
>Best regards,
>
>Kristen Stremlau
>Sales Representative
>Sigma-Aldrich Fine Chemicals, 3050 Spruce Street, St. Louis,
>MO 63103
>tel: 314-286-8090, fax: 314-652-0000, email:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Visit us at http://www.sigma-aldrich.com/safc
>
>(See attached file: BQP Flyer_final.pdf)

... which I circulated to various folks asking their opinions, here
are some of the responses:

1. "Why are you so worried about free glyc? Washed fuel can't contain
free glyc. As for total glyc, well, who will believe your analysis?
You'll have to have an independent analysis done anyway, so why
bother with this fuss? I'd rather suggest a good paper chromatography
or TFC kit to determine MG, DG and TG. Cheaper and also gives an
estimate on total glyc."

2. "I don't know of what value it serves for the home brewer. Free
glycerin is "eliminated" by proper washing. Glycerides are
"eliminated" by proper reaction times and catalyst amounts. In
general, if someone really needs to know what their glycerin content
is, I would think that they would also be wanting to know how their
fuel met the rest of the ASTM or DIN specs. In the long run, it would
probably be considerably cheaper on a "per test" basis to have a lab
do a complete workup on a sample, not just conduct a one time, one
aspect test at 100 bucks a pop."

3. "Teaching people how to read a reprocess test is more useful as
far as all glycerids goes. The wash test isn't a bad idea either but
it takes practice. I wouldn't encourage someone to buy a one-time
$100 kit. It will be taken advantage of - someone will test their
product once and then brag to customers that it's 'tested'. and it
won't tell you anything about the rest of their batches."

Best

Keith

> > Have any of you tried the new glycerin analysis kit from
> > Sigma-Aldrich?  I am the project leader for this new product
> > and would like to hear some feedback, good or bad.
> >

>http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/Brands/Fine_Chemicals/Product_Focus/Biochemical/
>BQP_Kit.html

Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for
Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/KXUxcA/fNtFAA/uetFAA/9bTolB/TM