Hi Ron,

Not nearly enough said I'm afraid. I think you are perpetuating two myths:

I think it was George Orwell who said that if you repeat a lie often enough,
people will believe it.  Sadly, a whole generation has got its perceptions
of the Second World War from Hollywood. Many in Europe and America don't
even know of Russia's involvement in the war and assume that they were
fighting against the allies!

Myth No.1:
The war in Europe was basically over in mid 1943, almost a year before the
Normandy landings. The decisive battles were all fought in Russia
(Stalingrad, siege of Moscow, siege of Leningrad, Battle of Kursk etc.). In
the siege of Leningrad alone an estimated 700,000 people perished. The war
culminated in the Battle of Kursk in July 1943. It was the biggest tank
battle in history, yet is known about by few in the west. After this
decisive battle the war was basically over in Europe, in the sense that the
Germans were always on the defensive from then on, and the Russians could
have won without the Americans or British. It would of course have taken
longer. American equipment given to Russia under the Lend Lease program was
an important factor early on in the war but was less so as Russian
production of armaments moved east. Still, we owe a great debt to the
American and British soldiers who died in this war. We often rightly
acknowledge that debt. We seldom acknowledge the even greater debt we owe
the Russian people!!!

During the decisive battle on the western front, The Battle of the Bulge,
the Germans had the majority of their troops in the Eastern Front, in
Russia..

During the war the Russians lost an estimated 20 million people. This was
almost 10% of their population. It tended to colour their perception of
Europe from then on!!

It is also important to remember that Russia had been invaded by Europe in
1914 and in 1919/20 also. Three times in 30 years!!! There was also still
the folk memory of Napoleon's invasion in 1812.

Myth No.2:
At the end of the war Russia was determined that they wouldn't be invaded
again. (Remember that this was thought to be a possibility; the US General,
Patton, wanted to go on and attack Russia to "finish" the war.) The Russians
therefore decided to form a buffer zone of satellite states around its
borders just as Israel did with south Lebanon in the early 80's.
This obviously led to tensions with the other super powers and you had the
formation of NATO and the Warsaw Pact after that. This in turn led to the
Cold War and an arms race which the Russians needed like a hole in the head.
Their country was devastated and needed reconstruction urgently. The US
emerged from the war practically unscathed and as the only remaining
superpower "with 50% of the world's wealth, but only 3% of its population".

Russia realised early on that it could never compete successfully with the
economic might of the US and therefore sought to end the Cold War as early
as 1952.
They proposed that Germany be re-united but remain neutral with no
conditions attached to its economic policies and guaranteeing "the rights of
man and basic freedoms, including freedom of speech, press and the free
activity of democratic parties."
The US replied that a re-united Germany would have to be free to join NATO.
This was a demand that the US knew Russia could not accept.

The US needed the Cold War to keep its population scared. This helped to
keep what Eisenhower described as the "military industrial complex" happy.
It's also interesting to note that Eisenhower thought that fears of a
Russian invasion of Europe were "the product of paranoid imaginations".

It has to be said that elements of the Russian regime also found the Cold
War handy in keeping their population in line too. They of course had their
own "military industrial" complex.

The Russians made several more attempts to end the Cold War but were
rebuffed time and again by the US, (see Noam Chomsky's DETERRING DEMOCRACY).

The above may seem to be overly generous to the Russians. They were of
course quite brutal in their occupation of their satellite states. All
empires are brutal and their actions are mostly reprehensible in their
colonies.
It is interesting to compare the colonies of the US and the Russian colonies
during the 1980's however.  The Russian colonies were bleeding Russia dry
whereas the US colonies in South America were hugely profitable for the US
economy. The Soviet Union poured about 80 billion dollars into Eastern
Europe during the 1970's. According to the New York Times transfers to the
West from Latin America from 1982 to 1987 amounted to 150 billion dollars.

Also, what would have happened to Vaclev Havel or Lech Walesa (PolishTrade
Union leader), if they had advocated free elections and free trade unions in
El Salvador or Guatemala during the 1980's?
They would have ended up disembowelled somewhere on the outskirts of town!

Regards
Dermot